Indy adventures- Part Two

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by California Mike from 206.14.111.3 on March 01, 2001 at 04:03:49:

To those of you who missed my previous post, I have way too much time on my hand so I often drink, lift weights, and go on foolish, poorly planned indy-esque adventures. I'm going to talk about these adventures periodically so long as I get a few responses (I consider one or two to be resounding support). Two days ago I posted one, now here a sequel.

Me and my friend Pete were cutting through a park on our way back from the grocery store when I spotted a huge storm drain that was in a large drainage culvert. I pointed it out and said that when I was a little kid I always wanted to climb in but couldn't figure out how. The wall the drain was in was about twenty five feet high, and about eight feet above dirty, rancid, fetid sewer water.

Of course being juniors in college we decided that we smart enough to figure out how to get in. Pete was in the ROTC and said he knew how to rappel. We changed clothes and went to the hardware store to buy some rope. We went back to the storm drain and looped the rope around a tree. Of course, we drank a bit first. (A common theme in my stories).

When I looked over the edge it was quite a bit farther down than it looked like from far away. Trash, muck, and waste awaited me if I fell and missed the entrance, which was fifteen feet down. I looped the rope around me, took a breath, and climbed over the side.
Needless to say I scraped the hell out of myself on the wall, and cut my hands pretty badly. I barely managed to get one foot into the lip, and sort of swung around like a palsied schoolgirl until I got into the tunnel. I yelled for Pete to follow.

Like a pro he rigged up a rappelling harnass. I'm cut, bleeding, and dirty, and this asshole is going to swing down like a frigging navy seal.
Well, I watch as he gets the edge and jumps off...

and falls twenty five feet straight into the sewer water. Apparently the rope slipped from his hands. No, I didn't try to catch him.
Pete can't out of the sides of the culvert, so I have no choice but to try and hoist him up with the ropes still wrapped around him.
He is wet, disgusting, , and his hands are ripped far worse than mine.
We can't get out, so we head down the tunnel. It forks two or three times, and we pick blindly.. After an hour and a half of having to stoop down, and seeing some interesting large room with lots of ducts leading out, we still can't find a way out. We keep going.

At least we find a storm drain that leads to the outside. Unfortunately its so slippery and steeply sloped we can't get out. I manage to crawl up by repeatedly sticking feet and hands into small pipes in the side of the tunnel with the rope tucked into my belt.
I pull Pete up, and we look around. We're in a huge grass field. First thought, the El Toro Marine Base. Uh oh.
We try to find a way out, but there doesn't appear to be a gate. I step on something hard, look down, and realize we're in a cemetary!!
Suffice it to say we finally find a way out by crawling over a fence into someone's back yard and cutting into a street. We walk home, dirty, tired, and feeling like idiots.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]