Our histories are very similiar...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Fedora from ppp-115.col.cableone.net on March 01, 2001 at 11:57:43:

In Reply to: Re: Poll - How long have you been "really into this" hobby, and what was it that really hooked you? posted by Sir Richard on February 28, 2001 at 18:12:26:

: I've always liked Indiana Jones, since I saw Raiders anyway, but this collecting business of mine started three years ago when I got a computer with Internet connection and I discovered Indy's Diggs. I went nuts for weeks memorizing every little detail; model numbers, prices, etc.; until finally I learned just about everything there was to know. I have been fully proficient in "Indy lore" for over three years now and finally have a complete costume.

After acquiring a home computer 3 years ago, I too discovered Indy Diggs, and in the process, found this place. This pc, opened up a whole new world to me, and it has been interesting to find out so much info regarding Indiana Jones. I am one of those folks that never saw any of the Indy movies in a proper theatre. But, I can recall when Raiders hit the silver screen, and the games and toys that followed. At the time I was just too absorbed with my work, and had time for little else. All work, and no play. I think I first saw Raiders after it had been out on video for years. I immediately rented the other two movies, and must have watched each one 3 or 4 times before returning them. What grabbed me? Honestly, I don't know for sure, but I think it has something to do with the era, and the fact that he was an archaelogist. I majored in cultural anthropology in college back in the mid 70's, but never went into the field, due to a job offer in the business world that I couldn't refuse. In the following years, I became a savy businessman, but never lost my love for mysterious places, and unusual cultures. Bit of a romantic, anathema for a serious anthropologist. As I sit here today, I regret not staying in the field that interested me so much. But, I have made alot more money doing what I do, and it affords me the ability to see alot of places when I retire early in a couple of years. I have watched many adventure movies the past few years, but nothing can touch the Indy series. Raiders of the Lost Ark will always be the film that others will be compared to. I can hardly wait for my own great adventure to begin. It's a long way to Delhi, anything can happen. Regards, Fedora

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]