Re: My fellow Crusaders.. what is to become of us all..

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by WndJameR@aol.com from 198.23.26.253 on March 01, 2001 at 21:18:13:

In Reply to: My fellow Crusaders.. what is to become of us all.. posted by Georgiana Jones on February 28, 2001 at 23:15:11:

I know what you mean. Back in the mid '70's I was in the same rut (bad grades, didn't exactly know what I wanted to do with my life) Up to that point, only thing that I really had accomplised was to earm my private pilot's license (too expensive a hobby, had to stop flying years ago). Anyway, Vietnam was coming to a close, so I figured, what the heck, I enlisted in the Army. I figured maybe to get into Flight School and fly helicopters. Didn't quite work out, you need 20/20 eyesight, no exceptions. Mine isn't quite that good, but I got into Aviation, first as a mechanic, later as a crewmember (aerial gunnery is a BLAST!). Well, I made it a career, did the 20 and retired back in '96. Since I put my Indy outfit together in '84, it got to see such exciting, exotic places like frozen rice paddies in Korea and the California desert at the National Training Center. Actually I did get to some pretty cool places. Now unfortunately I work in Coporate America. No more flying low, hard, and fast-M60D door gun in hand. Luckily, while out on the West Coast and later in Hawaii, the sailing bug hit me. So that has been my biggest excitement as of late. I'm planning a cruise down the Deleware (I moor my boat at Burlington, NJ), through the C&D canal over to the Cheasepeake, and hopefully as far down as Annapolis. Whatever I think I can cover in a 7-8 day trip. Although I won't recommennd a CAREER in the military anymore (too many benefits erroded away), a hitch in the right field could get you lots of adventure and excitement, as well as some useful skills. Anyway, it's something worth considering after you graduate.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]