It wasn't me; it must've been some other previous "Curious"

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Not Curious anymore from 1Cust208.tnt1.brunswick.ga.da.uu.net on March 02, 2001 at 14:18:18:

In Reply to: A little perspective on Sallah's post, below... posted by Patterson on March 02, 2001 at 11:16:06:

I wasn't posting here as "Curious" until around Christmas or a little before. The one you refer to is absolutely someone who's not me. I'm still not set on that name and I'm not sure why it came to me. I don't post very often, though I do visit quite a lot. I have absolutely nothing against Flight Suits or the concept of change. I'm happy--almost always. And I definitely feel there is room for everyone and the different tastes and perspectives we all have. It'd be a mighty dull world if everyone agreed on everything. And I do feel that Mr. Sallah is rather pathetic in his myopic, chest-thumping silliness. I didn't want to bitch, just make sure no one thinks I'm the asshole (this time) who hates Flight Suits (I want one!).

: I'm feeling bad for being hard on you in recent. Honestly, I've not recalled many posts by you in the past - you've just really shown up on my radar screen.

: Well, a lot of people come and go around here. Some change their forum alias from time to time - never figured out why some do it. There was a guy who posted under the name "curious" back in the late Summer/early Fall who seemed very scared at the prospect of a Flight Suits jacket. I could not for the life of me understand the guy's reasoning, but in side-bar conversations with some of the rest of you out there, it became clear it was irrational fear of change.

: I guess some people's lives really are so empty that they do have their sense of self worth tied up in the jacket they wear or the car they drive. Your little "look at me I'm smart" post evokes a sense of pity, and I'm sure that was not your intention.

: I have to apologize for my own presumptions. I thought we were all here because we shared an interest in a genre - that genre being embodied in Indiana Jones. We share ideas and information. One of my passions is the jacket, and I've dropped quite a bit over the years on many different versions. My wife tolerates it because it's cheaper than her dad's golf habit, and I seem to enjoy the interaction with the 99.9% of really nice folks out there.

: I think I've found a niche here in that I can provide honest feedback on those different versions of the jacket because I've actually owned them. I am happy to do this, because I'd hate to see somebody be disappointed in a purchase. If I can help somebody make an educated decision, then maybe I've added value. I always go back to the first Indy jacket I bought - a Disney "fat boy" (DeWayne, you really need to file a copyright on that). I was very disappointed when I found how inaccurate it was, and would like to spare others the same feeling.

: Apart from the zeal for accuracy, I've also come to terms with the fact that there is room here for all tastes, opinions, and perspectives. Back when "curious" was raising hell, somebody mentioned that we've seen the fedora crowd come to terms with a range from Disney to Herbert Johnson. The FS is another choice that fills a particular niche. Buy one if you want, but don't slam those who do. Same with Wested. Any criticism I've had for Peter is based on the best factual info I have – having the jacket in my hands. I do not slam those who buy one. I've owned several, and still have one that gets its share of wear. I still send people to Peter, because, based on what they want, the Wested is the right jacket.

: I'm probably saying too much. Suffice it to say that if your life is so empty that you have to resort to these little posts, then knock yourself out. I for one will ignore them after I submit this post, but I'll be sure to say a little prayer that you find some meaningful direction that makes you happy.

: Cheers!

: Patterson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: