Re: US Wings jacket owners---a question

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Indydawg from pool-63.52.14.57.atln.grid.net on March 03, 2001 at 08:56:54:

In Reply to: US Wings jacket owners---a question posted by Gregg on March 03, 2001 at 04:05:40:

: Hi,
: A few questions for you:
: 1)what do you like AND dislike about the current US Wings "Indy" offerings?
: 2)does the bi-swing/pleat function better than Wested's?
: 3)the pics advertised show the side straps higher on the goatskin (newer pattern)---is this the case?
: 4)how is the sizing? for the sedentary adventurer?
: Thanks for your input.
: Gregg

Hi, Gregg...

Well, first let me say, I LOVE my Wings jacket! To compare it to Wested, would be like comparing a Jeep Wrangler to a Rolls Royce....Wings more "function", and Wested more "form"...if you know what I mean. Now, bear in mind this is just MY experience and MY opinion...so to answer your questions...

I like about my Wings jacket that it is just a tougher jacket. I feel like it could actually withstand a true adventure. I have only had it for a few months...and I have the VIP version, which is much more a "cold weather" jacket, so I haven't worn it very much. But it is most definately a military spec, true to TOD form, jacket! What I dislike about it (and this is only true for the VIP, the other offerings do not have this) is that it has a reinforcement seam, across the back of the sleeves, that does not show up on the Wested, FS, or ANY of the other Wings jackets...only the VIP. The purpose is to make the back of the sleeve stronger and able to withstand a lot more abuse. So, in actuality, what I dislike, I really sort of like at the same time.

The bi-swing pleat DOES in fact function better than the Wested I currently have. Now, that being said, the latest revisions Peter has made to the Wested's pleat MAY make that a pointless arguement. I have my new and improved Wested on the way to me now, so I will be better able to address that question when it gets here....MAYBE today, but most likely next week sometime!!!

Side straps I know little to nothing about. The straps on the VIP are backwards (i.e. they pull towards the BACK of the jacket as opposed to the FRONT like all the others-again, this is only true of the VIP) but all the other side straps on the Wings jackets appear to be true to form for the TOD jacket.

Sizing...well, sizing is a bit generous. I THOUGHT about getting a large-because that is what I mostly wear in jackets. I'm 5'10", 145lbs, athletic build (I run triathalons when I am not out fighting bad-guys or teaching them in the classroom), and the MEDIUM fits perfect with room to wear a light sweater if it got down to -5 degrees...belive me, with the VIP, it is WAAARM!!! I wear a 42-44 REG in most jackets...most often the 42, so you be the judge about the sizing!

Overall...the Wings jacket is a fantastic purchase! I love the jacket, it is VERY different from the Wested. It is a perfect combination of form and function! If I had to CHOOSE an Indy jacket, just ONE to keep and I could have no other, I would probably choose my Wested-just because I am more of a die-hard originality person on the jacket. But if I were actually going into an Indy situation and I CARED about my jacket living through it, I would want the Wings!

Hope that helped some...
Later!
Indydawg

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: