Well, my thoughts....

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Zippy from sa-165-227-130-167.cruzio.com on March 04, 2001 at 11:16:30:

In Reply to: Re: US Wings, James Dean & The Price of Indy Jackets posted by Anejo Joe on March 04, 2001 at 10:54:15:

: It seems that Sgt. Hack makes a low-priced jacket with authentic styling and sells it at a good price. As the features get updates, like adding side hand-warmer pockets, the price goes up. When he gets to the Flying Tigers jacket, he is up to $800! That $229 jacket has got to be the best deal on the market. However, for a completely authentic jacket (like what Patterson has done with the Raiders jacket) I would have to go with Eastman Leather and pay at least $600.

It's true there is more leather in an Indy-style jacket (longer length, no knit waistband, etc) compared to an A-2, along the with side straps and bi-swing pleated back, which might account for the price difference. Also, maybe the fact that the A-2 is his biggest seller might be a factor. Maybe he can sell that a lower price because he makes up for it in volume (quantity sold)?

The "Flying Tigers" jacket can't be compared to the standard A-2 because it is custom hand-painted, hence the $800 price. Also, Eastman's jackets (along with Real McCoys) are, from what I understand, truly authentic reproductions of the WWII USAAF A-2, not the current-issue USAF A-2 (Wings A-2s are patterned after current-issue A-2s). There are differences in material, fit (WWII A-2s were trimmer; current A-2s fit looser), width & placement of epaulets, shape of pocket flaps, stiching, etc. In fact, if you think Indy fans are nitpicky about jacket details, you should talk to a fan of authentic WWII-repro A-2s!

There's a good range of prices available. Wested jackets seem to be THE bargain in an Indy jacket. The FS Expedition is priced higher. US Wings is somewhere in between. Depends on what you want.

Regards,
Zippy

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: