Re: Tom Selleck or Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones? You Pick!

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from em12-686.utsi.edu on September 23, 1998 at 14:58:22:

In Reply to: Tom Selleck or Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones? You Pick! posted by IndyJones4 on September 23, 1998 at 14:51:57:

: If nobody knows this, back before Raiders of the Lost Ark went into production, Tom Selleck was supposed to be Indiana Jones. He was so close to becoming him that they even made storyboards with Selleck in them! Yeah..it's hard to believe! But it turns out that he was too busy with a t.v. show to do it (thank god!) And also it's kind of funny now that this evil plot line with Selleck playing his brother has shown up.
: Well here's the question....what do you think would have happened if Selleck was Indy or do you think it should have been Selleck from the begining. Do you think he could have done a better job?
: I think NOT. Ford is Indiana Jones, and he was the best pick Spielberg could have ever made!

Scarier yet, Kris Kristopherson (sp?) was actually on the short list too. Can you imagine HIM? I would have enjoyed Selleck, but it definately wouldn't have been the hit of Ford's, simply because we KNEW who Selleck was at the time, Magnum. When I saw Raiders for the first time, I actually did not recognize Ford until my sister leaned over and told me he was the one in Star Wars. He really wasn't that recognized yet in 1981, even though his star was climbing fast. Selleck was at the top of his field on TV, and therefore was already pretty typecast in the Magnum part. I've seen him in later productions, and since he's distanced himself years wise from the Magnum, we have been able to see him more as the excellent actor he really is, and not as Magnum. No, I agree, Ford was at the right place in the right time. Regards. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]