Re: Herbert Johnson Fedora help

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Greg from kenn003-169.cyberTours.com on September 24, 1998 at 06:29:02:

In Reply to: Re: Herbert Johnson Fedora help posted by Shannon on September 24, 1998 at 02:11:54:

: : I need some help deciding wether or not to order a hat from Herbert Johnson hatters...my tired Indy hat is getting too old and quite frankly was a poor copy to begin with.
: : Now what I need to know is, if everyone who has purchased the Indy model fairly satisfied that this hat is 1)authentic and 2)worth the price? Is it exactly like the hat seen in Raiders, or close enough? I'm very apprehensive about ordering one based on the pictures I've seen, and would appreciate some help/input.
: : Thanks in advance,
: : Sean

:
: Hi Sean!

: If you are looking for the real thing (Indy's Hat) Then Herbert
: JOhnson is the way to go. I recently Ordered one and I was impressed
: with quality. Everything is the same as the orignal Fedora. The only
: thing different is the fact that distressed hats were used for the film.
: The only time that hat appears to be in new condition which looks
: exactly like the one you will get from Herbert JOhnson is when Indy is
: in Donavan's apartment In the Last Crusade. Compare them if you like
: when you get the hat it is the same.

: Is it worth it? Yes if you want the real thing!
: Yes the hat from herbert johnson is the orignal so it is indeed authentic.
: I have spoken proof of this ask for Mr. Richard Swales when you order
: he will tell all about how he made the hats for the films.

: I hope this helps!

: Shannon

Ditto everything Shannon said. Do be sure to request specifically, however, that you would like the authentic 39mm Dark Brown Petersham ribbon-not the 30mm ribbon which will make it correct to the films. I was told that it would come with this ribbon and it didn't-somebody else prepared the order I think and wasn't aware that I wanted the Poet hat to be in the authentic Indy style. Just tell Mr. Swales that you want the authentic Indy hat and he'll set you up-you can even get initials stamped into the hat band inside which is a nice touch. Be sure to also ask them for a set of sizing pads which are nice things to have in case you're like me and occasionally shave your head-these felt pads slip behind the hat band inside and allow you to wear the hat even after a particularly short haircut. Both the initials and the sizing pads are free of charge. As far as quality, you will think you've never seen anything more beautiful in your life when it arrives (maybe that's just me!). Herbert Johnson hatters ships their hats in what is almost certainly a near-bullet-proof shipping carton, carboard the likes of which I have never seen before-takes a good careful fifteen minutes to pry every heavy duty staple out of the edge of the carton. In short, I have two I liked the first one that much-and having a second one has allowed me to get the first one dirty and not be so careful about it and I have to tell you that it REALLY is the same make and model hat used in the films. And when you buy one of these hats you feel like you are entering a family of sorts-if ever in London and you want your hat cleaned complimentarily, you may do so, and when I told them that they sent me the wrong ribbon on my hat, they simply mailed me off some free of charge. Very pleasant people to do business with!

Greg

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]