Re: Leather Strap and bag

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Gary from 157.22.206.232 on September 24, 1998 at 09:01:25:

In Reply to: Leather Strap and bag posted by Azuma on September 24, 1998 at 08:02:32:

: Dear Fans:

: Last time I wrote about the dye which comes off from the leather strap for shoulder bag and I tried to wash it off to fix the problem, but now that strap is totally destroyed! So I would like to order another one for my bag, but I don't know if Borden's strap problem had fixed after we discussed it on the net or not. Can any one tell me about it? By the way I think Borden's strap is a little bit wider then 3/4 inch, it comes almost a inch wide...

: Best regards.

: Azuma
: PS. Recently I got another 3 of MK VII bags from US, but the color seems more dark green then the one I got from England, What is the difference between?

I have bought several bags from England and several from the US when ordering from the US you must be very specific abou the bags: Mk-VII 1941-1942-1943 Olive green with Pin-snaps that have dimples and a rim on the snap cover , Two round drain hole grids. The US ones can come three ways 1. The correct type 2. Tan with pin and button holes with 6 eyelet drain holes, 3 which is very similer to the correct ones but the snap covers have no dimples or rims. As for the straps I to have the bleed problem and have tried several sealers to keep it from bleeding. the only way is to not dye theback side portion of the strap that contacts clothing(my first strap bled in my shirt the last time I was at Disneyland but it washed out). as for the size after watching all three movies and looking at stills I belive that both 3/4 inch and 1 inch were used. To make your own strap all materials are available fron Tandy Leather they will cut the leather to your specifications and have the hardware and finishing products and is available by mail order. I have made three straps and working on five more for gifts to friends. The type of leather is called" Latigo" and I use the sandel buckels with the tang removed the bump in the buckel helps the sthap from slipping also I use the crome screw rivets to make changing the strap easer. I have trie Dark brown oil dye and the water base dye and they both bleed the only thing that I have not tried is the varnish finish but that would mak the strap to glossy.
Hope this helps. I wear my bag all the time it is great for holding my cel-phone, two pagers, wallet, and other junk that collects when I am on an adventure.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]