It just seems to get deeper and deeper - working on it...(nm)

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patterson from 63.104.29.112 on March 06, 2001 at 11:19:47:

In Reply to: Yes, these tidbits are real interesting, but what's the whole story?(nm) posted by Dakota Ellison on March 05, 2001 at 22:59:57:

: : : First off – Lee, please correct me if I get some of this jumbled.

: : : The discussion I was having with Peter was fairly heated, and he mentioned that in getting some items correct, they had pulled out their original Keppler prototype. Keppler meaning Lee Keppler.

: : : Back in the early 1980's, Lee was selling Wested’s retail - buying them wholesale from Peter. This was before Peter hit the internet. Anyway, Lee showed me some ad copy from Wested back then, and the jacket they had pictured as their "Raiders" jacket had shoulder pads, a very short waist, and had the kind of finished stitching you find on a dress suit. Definitely NOT military inspired, and definitely not from any original patterns. The picture reminded me of the waist jackets girls wore to Sammy Hagar concerts back in the early 1980's. Anyway, Lee then contracted with Flight Suits to make a prototype that was sent to Peter for evaluation, and to revamp his pattern. The prototype has never been returned to the best of my knowledge, nor was it ever formally acknowledged by anybody over there until I talked to Peter. I have been told, however, that he also recently made the same comment to another regular.

: : : So, things come full circle. I have to wonder WHAT the Last Crusade jacket would have looked like if it had not been for Lee Keppler.

: : : Cheers!

: : : Patterson

: : ...that we are wearing Westeds designed by Lee Keppler? Patterson, you have got to admit, that this story is stranger than fiction! I am not doubting your word, but doesn't it seem odd that Peter Botright totally forgot what his own jackets looked like? Surely he had pics from the movies to use as ad material, or something. I am sure many different jackets have been through his shop over the years, but the Indy movies were relatively big, and very popular. Would he have completely forgot this distinctive jacket? Wonder if he likes to drink? Strike that, didn't mean to say it. If all of this is true, and it is feasible, then your project at FS should produce the most accurate Raiders jacket available. You did have the good fortune of seeing a real one, up close, and make notes. Keppler probably just used the films, and stills. Or did he? Fill us in on how he arrived at the prototype he sent to Wested, or whatever they were called at that time. I am interested in hearing all of the details, that you see fit to pass on. Regards, Fedora

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]