Wested, Flight Suits and all the crap I'm sick of: an essay.

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Shawnkara from spider-mtc-tb061.proxy.aol.com on March 08, 2001 at 00:07:25:

Straight out? I'm sick of all the people constantly bashing Flight Suits. Most of you have never seen or worn one and don't know shit about them. Neither have I, nor do I know shit about them, either. Perhaps this is why I have an open mind to the idea. I love my Wested (BOTH of them)but see no reason to trash an excellent option to the other jackets that are available. The only problem with FS that I can see is that their standardized sizing chart does not apply to the Expedition. Maybe it needs its own chart. Maybe they'll have to go the way of making every jacket custom. With their added cost this would make for a $500.00 + jacket, but there's no reason to piss and moan about that, either. I was mad as Hell when I figured this out but I didn't jump on the forum and trash the product, the company and the guys that have worked thier asses off to make this happen. It's just another bug to be worked out and I'm sure they'll overcome it, just as they've overcome all of the obstacles on the road to making the jacket a reality. That's just my personal example, I know a few people here have thier own unique reason for bashing FS. Point is, whatever the reason, it's not worth arguing over and in most cases not worth mentioning publicly. I don't think most people realize how tricky it is to do a thing like this. It's difficult enough to replicate a thing, let alone an image. Unless you have been cloned directly from Harrison Ford's DNA no jacket will ever look exactly on you the way it did on him. Most of the details that prompted Patterson to this at all are a matter of scale and placement of certain attributes. The Flight Suits jacket was intended to be a faithful reporduction, SCALED to fit the person wearing it to achieve "the look". If you remain true to the exact dimensions you sacrifice that "look", and vice/verse. From modifying Westeds, making Indy jackets for 12" figures and the 'Raiders' jacket I made for my son I can tell you that a jacket with pleats in the back is tricky enough. Now, try to make it look on you EXACTLY the way it looks on another person. Here's an example: I've made Indy figures on Hasbro bodies, Ultimate Soldier and Dragon bodies. No too much difference in proportion between the three, right? Well, as close as they are, I ended up with three different patterns for three different figure types to retain "the look". Now consider how varied WE are. The 'Raiders' jacket had a tailored look. "Tailored" means custom fitted to an individual. It's incredibly hard to achieve this look from an 'off-the-rack' garment of any kind, but it can be done. So for all the "I told you so's" out there, save it. Until Dave Marshal and the gang come back and say, "OK, this can't be done", I'll be waiting patiently, and with curiousity, to see what they can do. My two cents....

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]