Darkening the Noel Holster

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Gringo from ACA2C782.ipt.aol.com on March 08, 2001 at 08:09:57:

In Reply to: Re: Raiders holster- who's is more accurate- Lee or Noel? posted by Curious on March 07, 2001 at 21:15:59:

:
: : : I own both. I like both. But we all have our own prefrences. I have had alot of dealings in leather products(personal and buisness) and have to say, Noel Howards product is better. I like Lee alot, and he makes a great item, but I like a heavier leather(saddle leather) like the old western gunbelts and the Noel howard holster is like that. I belive Lee makes copy closer to the original. I hope this helps.
: : : Best wishes
Hi Curious. I agree. When I received my Noel holster, the color was light with a saddlewax coating. I used a very light amount of acetone to remove the coating and then used brown shoe polish to coat it and buff the leather. It looks much better. Hope this helps.Best Wishes
: : :Excellent call Gringo! Thanks for stating your personal preference for thicker(11-12 oz.) leather as opposed to the thickness(9-10 oz.leather)of the Raiders holster as it actually was. Many folks would'nt state the reason for an opinion. Best regards, Dr.Brody

: I agree with Gringo. I have both and they're both great. The Noel Howard holster is very nice and is made from thicker leather, but it lacks the authenticity of Lee's, which has the two holes on the strap and is a more accurate color brown (the Howard holster is kind of orange). Lee's thinner leather (only slightly so) would make it easier to "weather" or distress. I wouldn't part with either.

: Good luck; you can't go wrong (though Noel Howard's costs more and takes a little longer to ship).
: Happy hunting,
: Curious

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: