Akrubra's lack of shrinkage

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from leospace047.utsi.edu on March 08, 2001 at 19:00:30:

I just received an email from Ron at HatsDirect, in response to an inquiry I made of him regarding the apparent lack of shrinkage that the Akrubra fedora seems to enjoy. We've all read, and probably experienced, the disappointment of our fedora's shrinking after a heavy soaking, especially if no pre-preparation has been made to keep it from doing so, such as Scotch Gard or the like. Ron tells me that Akrubra is one of the few companies that actually MAKES their own felt. Very few hat makers can make this claim. Before blocking any hat, they run the felt through a pre-shrink cycle anywhere from 12 to 14 times before making a hat. Most all other makers only pre-shrink 2-4 cycles before blocking a hat. This way the Akrubra is much more stable than others, and though there may be a very little shrinkage with a soaking, it will not experience the HUGE reduction in sizing a lot of us have experienced at one time or another. The company is now in the hands of the 5th generation of owners (the same family) and they are dedicated to producing the best fur felt hat one can purchase. Anyway, with the new Indy styled Campdraft on it's way, I thought this tid bit of info would be interesting, especially after the discussions of recent past on watching our Millers or HJ's shrink a size or two after a rain storm, apparently we won't experience this with an Akrubra. Regards. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]