Clarification on another matter...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patterson from 63.104.29.112 on March 09, 2001 at 15:56:40:

A point of clarification on the timeline that started a thousand flames. Lee Keppler was selling Raiders jackets before he ever found Peter Botwright. He was getting his jackets from Flight Suits, and was relying upon film footage and any pics they could get their hands on for the design. When Lee found Peter, he asked to take a look at one of his Raiders jackets. What Lee received he describes as a bellhops jacket. Lee sent Peter his personal horsehide FS jacket as an example of what he was looking for. A copy was made (the infamous Keppler prototype) and Lee’s jacket was returned. I’ve seen that jacket first hand. Peter then began shipping jackets to Lee to sell at retail. Over time, the supply Lee could get from Peter dried up, and Peter began selling directly to fans.

A point that was made below was, “So, Lee/FS were copying Peter and just refreshed his memory on his own design?” Well, not really. In the strictest sense, and the most accurate and fair way I can think of saying it, each and every Raiders jacket is a copy of only one person’s work - Deborah Nadoolman (now Landis). She is credited and has expressly laid claim to the detailed design of the wardrobe – including the jacket and modifications to what I’ve heard was described as Herbert Johnson’s “Australian Fedora”. She is the only one credited for this work, and is the only source I would ultimately hang my fedora on.

Please don’t flame me for this – it’s in the credits to the movie!

Cheers!

Patterson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: