Easy there big guy.....you're right, except....

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Indiana Jimmie from 1Cust80.tnt8.beaverton.or.da.uu.net on March 09, 2001 at 23:14:38:

In Reply to: WRONG posted by Brian on March 09, 2001 at 13:44:10:

They CAN be made on a home computer. Easily. Perhaps not so cheeply, as you say, since it takes some specialized equipment that is fairly new tech....but the encoding process is a breeze!! I recently created what amounts to a dvd file of the Unedited version of Batman Beyond : Return of the Joker. BUT I don't have the equipment to burn it to the needed media....it was simply made this way to save disk space on my laptop.

: DVDs are neither cheap, nor easy to produce. DVD and CD are completey different technologies, requiring completely different hardware and media.

You're right, here. Except as I stated above. I have ripped dvd's and encoded them into the Divx format for playing on my laptop at work as well.
Please see my response to the guys below about the media, compression utilities, etc, needed for home-brewed dvd...

The movies in question are either:
: 1) real DVDs that somebody got their hands on, somehow

These, as I stated before, probably ARE real dvd's, although NOT Lucas-sanctioned, and are from dubious sources - IE both the "creators" and the video/audio signals. I have seen (read BOUGHT) Star Wars dvd's from Asia...and they have all of the problems I listed in my original post.

: 2) original VCDs (Indiana Jones VCDs do exist- I've seen them, pressed labels and everything)

You're right, they DO. And I have numerous copies of them. Copies I HAVE MADE, and copies I have bought (The actual label-pressed copies you mentioned). I have been burning my own vcd's for nearly a year now...encoding videotapes I own of movies not yet available on dvd (Buckaroo Banzai VCD - whoo hoo!!) to play on my home dvd player and laptop....easy AND cheep!!

: 3) bootleg VCDs made by capturing VHS or LD streams and then converting to MPEG1/VCD (29.976fps- NTSC, or 25.000fps- PAL)

Again, correct. Although you either omit or just do not know that there is now an MPEG2 compression that is basically dvd encoding. This is a serious pain in the kiester...as you must run the file(s) through numerous hoops to insure proper sound synchronization, no interlacing artifacts in the video, etc.
Most vcd's I have run across come from an American source who videotaped a movie in a theater, and sold it to these vcd/dvd producers overseas. I myself bought a vcd of XMEN *3 DAYS* after it opened in theaters here in the States!!

: 4) bootleg DVDs that a very enterprising individual with a DVD burner (read: expensive) made from an LD or VHS stream (see #3).

I believe I said pretty much this same thing in my original post. There ARE individuals, primarily in Asia, that invest in this sort of equipment simply to produce home versions of movies that are not readily available, either in home viewable formats OR the cinemas there, to sell to the general public. Video shops in many places carry these "bootleg" dvd's and vcd's. There are whole markets for vcd players throughout Asia, and it's even gaining popularity in Mexico. This sort of enterprise has been around for many years, but they are only just now coming into notice here in the US. I may have been a bit out of bounds when I said that these were probably made on someones home comp....they are probably 'professionaly' produced...

I AM NOT trying to start a fight here....that's the last thing we all need. I was trying to help someone make an informed decision as to what amounts to, IMHO, nothing more than a unique collectible.
I would be more than happy to provide some links to most of the resources online I have used, and would willingly give any input gained from my own personal experience.
However, I think if we continue, we should do it through email. Please feel free to contact me (and that goes for EVERYONE) if you would like to discuss further.

Cheers!!

Indiana Jimmie

: : Dvd's are now so easy to produce....most folks can now make them on thier home computer.

: : I'm sure these are more professionaly produced, however.

: : My experience with this sort of thing (and my experience is pretty extensive) is that they usually have TERRIBLE sound synchronization problems, and NEVER have very clear pictures. I almost prefer vcd's to "home brewed" dvd's, simply because the video is sharper, albeit STILL pretty crappy, depending on the source.
: : Which brings me to my next point :

: : These ARE NOT taken from any source material other than maybe the LD's, and/or the new video releases. They are simply the highest order of bootleg Indy videos.

: : As for them being in 5.1? That's probably not true. The source material IS digital stereo, so they may just be saying that they are 5.1, when they actually are not.

: : I've said it before, and I'll say it again...probably nothing better than a pretty unique Indy collectible. Most times not worth the cd's they're pressed on.

: : Hope this helps!!

: : Indiana Jimmie

:
: : : Yes, it's real, 5.1 region free DVD!!!! Heres the link:
: : : http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1413859183

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional: