Re: USwings

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by D2K from 1Cust203.tnt3.brentwood.ny.da.uu.net on March 11, 2001 at 17:20:10:

In Reply to: Re: USwings posted by D2K on March 11, 2001 at 17:06:35:

: Well, I can't claim to be an expert, but this question I can address. The first jacket I ordered was a Wings VIP. It was a heck of a piece. Top shelf leather, hardware and workmanship. Dark brown color and very heavy in weight. But... I found the cowhide to be too grainy for my taste. That's not a value judgement, only personal preference. It was just too "bumpy." When I looked at it I thought "alligator." (That's an exageration of course, but it's what I thought.) I looked long and hard at the jacket because I liked everything else about it so much, but finally decided that I couldn't live with the grain. So I returned it in favor of a Vintage Cowhide which was described as smoother grained. It was, but... The lining was, I guess, nylon. It looked to me like a garbage bag, a huge disappointment after the near perfect VIP. So I ordered a Wested. Then I read about all the problems/concerns/mysteries and got cold feet. Two days later I cancelled it. More research led me back to US Wings and the goatskin. I ordered one and it's just right. The color is dark brown, new-type, the grain is much finer than cow and is in my opinion perfect. The workmanship and hardware are first rate. The lining is the same as an A2, that is, light weight. Overall it's quite a bit lighter than the VIP, but much heavier than an A2, but plenty warm and no doubt more temperature versatile. The goat is super tough, my new favorite skin.
: It was a long road and I'm completely satisfied with the results.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]