Well, theoretically...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patterson from 63.104.29.112 on March 12, 2001 at 12:17:08:

In Reply to: US Wings Lambskin vs. US Wings Old Cowhide posted by Indy Sam on March 12, 2001 at 11:20:01:

:
: In terms of accuracy, how does the US Wings lambskin compare with the VIP and "Old Cowhide" versions? I know that Patterson has has nothing but nice things to say about the Old Cowhide, but how does the lambskin version measure up with it? Also, I've heard the VIP is a heavy jacket - is the lambskin also heavy?

: Thanks,
: Indy Sam

They all come from the same pattern. Michaelson has noted (as I would concur) that some changes were made to the Old Cowhide pattern, but I've not confirmed this with David Hack - Michaelson? Otherwise, they are all the same cut with the only differences coming from the specific skins used. The only exception to this are a few that seem to go out that have two panels under the sleeves and the side straps are reversed - I believe this is a very old pattern that has not been used on new production for some time.

Now if it is the difference in leathers you are concerned with, here goes...

Lamb and goat will be the two lightest in weight, with goat getting the nod for durability and lamb for breathability. Not to say goat does not breath, just not as well as the lambskin jackets I've owned. The Old Cowhide is similar to other cowhide jackets I've owned in weight. Based on Michaelson's and David Hacks comments to me, then, I'd surmise that the VIP hide used is indeed heavy relative to other cowhides. Also, of mention is the kangaroo skin - this is tough stuff and a real conversation piece. It is actually lighter in weight than either lamb or goat, and as tough as anything else you might come across. I believe the kangaroo offering is going away, though, due to a shortage in the skins.

Hope this helps - cheers!

Patterson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: