Re: Back at you....

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from em11-686.utsi.edu on September 28, 1998 at 08:46:58:

In Reply to: Re: WHAT I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW........ posted by INDIANA GJR on September 27, 1998 at 21:15:35:

:
: : : :
: : : : :
: : : : : : I like Tom Selleck but I don't think I could enjoy watching him as Indiana Jones. Maybe this is because we have only seen Harrison Ford as Indy and no other actors playing him

: : : : : You are SO, SO, SO misguided, you, you, you dirt poor, innocuous fool!
: : : : : Shape up or ship out!

: : : : : Tiga

: : : : IS THIS WHAT IT COMES DOWN TO WHEN PEOPLE BECOME SO IMPATIENT. THEY FORGET WHO INDIANA JONES IS AND LOOSE HOPE IN FORD. LEAP OF FAITH AS I RECALL IN THE MOVIE. "YOU MUST BELEIVE BOY, YOU MUST BELEIVE!" ISNT THAT HOW IT WENT. I'M SORRY BUT INDY IS NOT A FRANCHISE WHERE YOU CAN TAKE FOR GRANTED THAT INDIANA JONES WILL ALWAYS BE. WHAT MAKES INDIANA JONES AS POPULAR AS IT IS TODAY WAS NOT JUST THE WHIP, THE FEDORA, AND THE JACKET, BUT THE MAN WHO WORE THE WHIP AND DONED THE FEDORA AND JACKET AS WELL AS KICKED ASS IN IT! I KNOW ITS FUN TO PONDER THE POSABILITIES OF A DIFFERENT ACTOR TO PLAY INDY BUT WHAT DO YOU THINK FORD WOULD SAY KNOWING THE LOVE HE HAS FOR THIS CHARACHTER HE PLAYS IF HE CAME TO THIS FORUM AND SAW WHAT IS BEING WRITTEN ABOUT HIM.! WHAT I RESPECT IS THE DEDICATION HARRISON HAS GIVEN TO THE CHARACHTER SO AS A FAN OF INDY I MUST GIVE THE SAME BACK. NOW IF EVERYONE THINKS IM WRONG THEN ALL MY EFFORTS IN THE FORUM BECOME MEANINGLESS. WHAT WE DONT WANT IS TO DRAG OUT HIS ADVENTURES FOR THE SAKE OF KEEPING THE CHARACHTER RETURNING AT THE BOX OFFICE. WHATS SPECIAL, WE MUST KEEP SPECIAL. ALL GOOD THINGS MUST COME TO AN END. ITS HOW SPECIAL THESE GOOD THINGS MADE US FEEL THAT KEEP THE ADVENTURE WITHIN US ALIVE. THATS WHY WE LOVE THE FORUM SO MUCH ISNT IT??? Just a thought i wanted to share.
: : : : G.J.R.

: : : Considering you did it all in caps, I guess we need to believe you have very strong feelings about this, right? I'm sorry, I don't agree with you, though I understand your points and totally appreciate your reasons. That does not make you wrong in any way. I do not participate in this forum, or that fact, in the Indy hobby because Harrison Ford played the part of Indiana Jones. Mr. Ford himself refers to it as just a "job" himself, and one he loves, but the job he refers to is acting. The more physical, the better he likes it. No, I enjoy the character of Indiana Jones and relate it to the character the way it was presented in the time period it occured, both the 1930's, as well as when it hit the screen in the early 1980's. We had been through an entire decade and a half of movies with directors who had come to the conclusion that to be true to the audience, their movie endings must be more "realistic". We had more killing off of the heros, and total endings that completely let the audience down that we were totally sick of it. The political circumstances were the pits, with Carter out of the White House, hostages being held in Iran, and we were once again seemingly sitting on our hands doing absolutely nothing. Then Indy hit the screen, and he was doing things that we wished we could do, and with the brashness that the US had before WWII. It pleased the older audiences as to remember how we had been, and it thrilled us younger ones to think how we should be again. I didn't get a hoot WHO was playing the part, and as I have said before on this forum, I didn't even recognize Ford until someone told me about a third of the way through the movie who he was. He just wasn't exactly a house hold word in Southern Ohio a the time. I really didn't care. Let's face it, we, the forum represent Indiana Jones. We keep the ideal alive in what ever way you want to think it, either as purests who must be sure that the snaps on the bag are absolutely correct, or those who don't care what they have on their head, it's the "man" in the heart that carries. Regardless, WE are Jones in our minds. Ford gave us that character, but the character is the thing, not the messenger. Anyhow, no one has lost hope in Mr. Ford in another outing. I for one look forward to what ever they want to play out on the screen for Indy. I have purchased my share of the Indy items over the past 17+ years that I'm sure Mr. Ford has received his fair share of compensation. I do not want to see Indy ride off into the sunset again, with the credits running and the feeling that this will be the last time I'll be sitting in the dark with other Indy fans watching our favorite character leaving for the last time. Please member, Mr. Ford also loves Jack Ryan and plans to play him again. He said so, so his love for characters isn't just Indy exclusive. Now, please help me down off my soap box. I've worn my fingers out. Regards. Michaelson

: : My fingers were so tired out, I couldn't even spell my alias right! Regards. Michaelson

: My fingers felt the same as well ! Once again Michaelson, its been a pleasure! Your opinions are held with the highest respect.
: Take Care. G.J.R.

As are yours. Regards. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: