I got my own ideas on this...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Fedora from ppp-198.col.cableone.net on March 13, 2001 at 12:44:26:

In Reply to: Dimensional Cut Question posted by Matthew Walker on March 13, 2001 at 02:17:08:

: Tomorrow I am taking my hat to a millener to have the brim on my HJ hat dimensionally cut for a Raiders style brim. According to Richard Swales I am supposed to have 1/8" taken of all around and then an additional 1/4" taken off the sides. The brim right now is 2 and 7/8" all around, so using my amazing Georgia Tech math skills (yeah right) I found that would leave the final product with a 2 3/4" by 2 1/2" brim. I was under the impression the brim was supposed to be 2 3/4" by 2 5/8". Does anybody know what is the most accurate? Was the Raiders fedora dimensionally cut at all? Where on the sides does the side cut begin and end? I just want to know cuz I have no idea how skilled this hatmaker is and if she even knows where it should begin and end the cut. Any info would be appreciated.

: Matt

First of all, do not have the brim cut to 2 1/2 inches on the sides. If you put any kind of curl, even a slight one, the sides will appear to be too narrow, unless you like the way the LC fedora looks when Indy is at his father's house with Marcus. Personally I don't like this look. I wear a 7 1/4 and even with the sides curled up on my hats, the 2 3/4 x 2 5/8 looks perfect. Even with the slight differential of 1/8 an inch, this does change the look of the hat to match that of the Raiders hats in my opinion. Also, when if you cut 1/4 inch off each side, you end up with a pointed brim, this can't be helped because you have to extend the blending of the two radius cuts, and this act tends to make the brim too pointed. But see Paterson's post below. The 2 7/8 x 2 3/4 would look good too. I plan to cut my next campdraft to these specs to see how it looks. I have never agreed with the line of thought that a nondimendional cut looks right. It makes the brim look too round,and although most fedoras sport this cut, they never capture the Indy look in my opinion. Regards, Fedora

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]