Oh, absolutely.....

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Indydawg from 168.9.41.100 on March 14, 2001 at 14:05:16:

In Reply to: Agreed... posted by Zippy on March 14, 2001 at 13:49:36:

I feel that NO leather should go without some form of "protection" applied to it to repel stains-either from rain or other moisture, or coffee being spilled...whatever you might encounter, I completely agree that ANY leather should have something on it. And I do agree also that a lighter pigmented leather, like the OC, WILL be more susceptible to stains.
I have tried to find the Scotchguard that he has talked about for application to the OC, but cannot find it anywhere here in my local Georgia area. I am going down to South GA this weekend, so maybe I can find it there. But I will definately be applying the Pecards to that Raiders jacket, if I don't hear from anyone on my little "issue" before the weekend! It is supposed to rain and I want to be able to wear the thing!
All said...I cannot find ANY problems with this Old Cow Indy jacket. As Michaelson said above, it is a canvas to paint on....
Thanks for the kind words! I will be wearing them every day until it just gets too hot to wear 'em!
High Regards!
Indydawg

: I agree with you Indydawg. I like the color of the Old Cow leather just as it is, and wouldn't like it any darker myself. And Blackrock would definitely darken it. However, wouldn't you agree that the Old Cow leather should be protected with something? It seems that more heavily pigmented jackets are better protected against staining, but the lightly pigmented Old Cow seems like it would be more susceptible to stains. I am going to take Michaelson's advice and use Scotch-Gard, which will protect my jacket without changing the color. Actually, I've ordered a Scotch-Gard alternative from Sporty's Pilot Shop that does the same thing as Scotch-Gard (it should be arriving at the end of this week). BTW, great reviews... enjoy both your new jackets!

: Regards,
: Zippy

: : As far as color "accuracy" of the Old Cow as compared to the dark brown on the movie....no, you are NOT going to get even close. But, where are you going to FIND a distressed jacket that is also DARK in color that has not been treated with some kind of leather treatment to darken the leather back to it's original form?
: : Now....since I am right on top of the Old Cow (it being on my body at the moment-I changed jackets at lunch...I want to get enough "wearing" time in for both :-)) I can tell you this....as evenly and beautifully distressed as it is, if one were to apply a leather dressing to it (Pecards, for example), I truly feel that with the restored moisture in the leather, the jacket would darken back up to it's original dark brown coloring. AND it would maintain the markings of the distressing process, highlighted (and even probably standing out more) by the dressing application.
: : My Old Indy came with a sample jar of something called "Black Rock" leather dressing. I have talked with Michaelson about this, I talked with Sarge (who applied almost a whole can of the stuff to an A-2 done in the SAME leather as the Old Indy) and I talked with Scott at US Wings yesterday. The concensus is that using the Black Rock, the leather darkens back to it's original color, but keeps all the scratches, scrapes and other "highlights" in the leather!
: : Same as what Pecards would do for it. So, if you are worried about getting one of these jackets, but do NOT want to leave the jacket "light" in color....there IS an answer to your issues. Incidentally, I have done the same thing with a WEsted that had been distressed FAR too much...it DID turn the jacket REALLY dark! Very nice job!

: : So....just my thoughts on the coloring!
: : Later ya'll!
: : Indydawg

: :

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: