Absolutely....a FINE job on this Raiders jacket! (nm)

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Indydawg from 168.9.41.100 on March 14, 2001 at 14:12:15:

In Reply to: And who said competition isn't healthy? Looks like Peter is up to the challenge(nm) posted by Fedora on March 14, 2001 at 12:24:11:

: : Most all of us have experienced the sheer joy at the arrival of our very first Wested ever!!! If you haven't, then it is a feeling that you should experience! And some of us are experiencing that feeling again with the arrivals of our new and improved Wested jackets! Since it seems I have been one of the first to get one of the new ones, and have owned the "pre-revision" jacket, here is my assessment of the new jacket!

: : First of all, here is what I received-a Wested Raiders jacket, distressed cowhide, cotton lining. Now, the first thing I noticed upon pulling this wonderful work of craftmanship out of the bag was the difference in the distressing job from the last Wested I owned. Whatever Peter is doing to the distressed jackets these days, it is FANTASTIC!!!!! VERY lightly distressed, so that almost NONE of the dark brown coloring is gone from the jacket. It appears that only the very first few milimeters of surface were scratched with this distressing job. It truly looks wonderful!

: : The second thing I noticed was the side straps-raised about 1/2", set out away from the pocket, and attatched to the BACK of the jacket, as opposed to under the back panel! CORRECT FOR RAIDERS!!!! The side straps are now 1+" wide, as opposed to the former 3/4+" width, AND the back pleats are NOTICEABLY deeper than before! I'd say probably a good 1/2-1" deeper!

: : Then I got into really intense going over the jacket type stuff....I check EVERY stitch! It looks like the entire jacket was stitched BY HAND!!! EVERY stitch is perfectly placed, NO loose threads or snags ANYWHERE! I measured the top of the back part of the jacket-the part that Austin RAVES about being only 3" from top of back panel to shoulder seam....RIGHT ON THE MONEY, Austin! I do believe that the storm flap is still too wide....perhaps someone could address this with Peter..? The leather facings are PERFECTLY done! And the cotton lining, while I think it works best with a short sleeve shirt, IS noticably cooler and more breathable (and tougher, too) than the satin! Due to the way it hugs my body, I do NOT believe that ANY of the jackets HF wore in the movies had anything other than nylon or satin/acetate, or some other "less clingy" fabric. This cotton just doesn't want me to take this jacket off! Now, I haven't resorted to sleeping in it, yet (nod to Patterson;-), BUT the jacket still tugs at my long sleeve shirts with the cotton lining.

: : All in all, I think Peter has hit a homerun with making these needed changes in design to the Raiders jacket. I do not know if he is now putting the straps on the back of ALL the jackets...I hope not, as that would be innacurate to the Last Crusade movie jacket. But, speaking to the Raiders jacket I have in hand....this is one FINE piece of work! A note of congratulations to Peter and a tip of my fedora to him for this great work! I'd buy another in a heartbeat, and PERSONALLY, I think the new jacket's changes make it in a DEAD TIE for the FS jacket.

: : One note-the ONLY disappointment in this jacket is that it is NOT what I ordered. After speaking with Michaelson last night about it, I am hoping that somewhere out there right now on this forum, someone has received a jacket that THEY did not order. What I ordered was a NEW FINISH COWHIDE Wested Last Crusade jacket, with cotton in the body, satin in the sleeves (to avoid the snagging I am experiencing), leather facings on the collar and zipper (now standard), a RAIDERS length collar, AND a zipper on the inside pocket (a special modification that I requested also). That was what I ordered. What I got, again, was a Wested Raiders, Pre-distressed cowhide, cotton lining throughout, with leather facings on the collar and zipper. Perhaps the person who got my jacket was the person who ordered the Raiders jacket I DID get. If you are someone who has gotten a jacket in the last few days, who was surprised by some special modifications you did not order, please contact me! I know you are probably VERY happy with the jacket you got, but the truth is you did not get a jacket you ordered...you got mine. I believe this to simply be a shipping oversight and nothing more.

: : Ok....that's it for the Wested jacket. Next Review: US Wings Old Cow Indy jacket....a jacket to "go anywhere" and "do anything"!!!

: : Regards!
: : Indydawg

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: