Re: Fedora has a BLACK ribbon...I'm now convinced!

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Greg from kenn001a-p3-153.cybertours.com on March 14, 2001 at 16:19:22:

In Reply to: Fedora has a BLACK ribbon...I'm now convinced! posted by The Spatsman on March 13, 2001 at 23:20:02:

: Well, gang,
: I have watched Raiders twice tonight now, with only one thing in mind. Let other, more devoted fans look for enlightening jacket shots, or fedora shape irregularities, I was looking at that hat ribbon! I must confess, after seeing the ribbon travel the various light conditions present from the waterfall, to the remains of Forrestal, to the temple interior, and then to Jock's trusty old plane, I am utterly convinced that the fedora ribbon, like so many from that time, is black. I've owned plenty of hats, most with black ribbons, and I know what even a thin layer of dust will do to the hue of a black ribbon. You dust over a black ribbon that is sitting on a fawn or medium brown colored hat, it will register as dark brown to the eye. However, I thoroughly believe that the ribbon is black. Therefore, my next fedora ribbon will be black. No dying the elusive Petersham for me, no sir!
: I wonder how much account is given to dust, dirt and grime when trying to determine colors on items in these films?
: Not that I'm baiting anyone, I'm just curious.
: I don't believe lighting is an issue, as the ribbon is highly visible in a wide range of light variations and shadows.
: Just thought I'd share my decision with you guys.
: That's the way I see it.
: ~The Spatsman

I will be the first to say that any collector should have what THEY think is accurate. Trust your eye and no one else's and buy what you want, but I for one am not convinced that the ribbon was black. And remember that the Raiders hat ribbon had a bound edge and was therefore not Petersham ribbon anyway. I am convinced after speaking with Richard Swales at HJ, and through my own inspection of all of the shots of the film hats that nothing other than the darkest brown ribbon was used on any of the Indy hats. Petersham, with an open, saw-tooth edge was used on the ToD and LC hats and it is certain that they were dark brown ribbons. The LC hat at the Smithsonian confirms that, as do all of the pictures. When black ribbon fades, it gets grayer (I know as I have some black hat ribbon that has faded). Again, however, I am the first to tell you that if that is what you prefer to put on your hat, go for it! I support any Indyfan who wishes to do what they want and not follow the crowd!

Check out my ribbon study photos on photopoint (see post below a couple of weeks ago)

Greg

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]