Re:Darken the Jacket with Pecards or Black Rock, eh? Vedy interestink!(NM)

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by The Spatsman from spider-tr074.proxy.aol.com on March 14, 2001 at 16:40:13:

In Reply to: Right on, Zippy... posted by Indydawg on March 14, 2001 at 12:49:53:

: As far as color "accuracy" of the Old Cow as compared to the dark brown on the movie....no, you are NOT going to get even close. But, where are you going to FIND a distressed jacket that is also DARK in color that has not been treated with some kind of leather treatment to darken the leather back to it's original form?
: Now....since I am right on top of the Old Cow (it being on my body at the moment-I changed jackets at lunch...I want to get enough "wearing" time in for both :-)) I can tell you this....as evenly and beautifully distressed as it is, if one were to apply a leather dressing to it (Pecards, for example), I truly feel that with the restored moisture in the leather, the jacket would darken back up to it's original dark brown coloring. AND it would maintain the markings of the distressing process, highlighted (and even probably standing out more) by the dressing application.
: My Old Indy came with a sample jar of something called "Black Rock" leather dressing. I have talked with Michaelson about this, I talked with Sarge (who applied almost a whole can of the stuff to an A-2 done in the SAME leather as the Old Indy) and I talked with Scott at US Wings yesterday. The concensus is that using the Black Rock, the leather darkens back to it's original color, but keeps all the scratches, scrapes and other "highlights" in the leather!
: Same as what Pecards would do for it. So, if you are worried about getting one of these jackets, but do NOT want to leave the jacket "light" in color....there IS an answer to your issues. Incidentally, I have done the same thing with a WEsted that had been distressed FAR too much...it DID turn the jacket REALLY dark! Very nice job!

: So....just my thoughts on the coloring!
: Later ya'll!
: Indydawg

:
: : Seems like you're comparing apples to oranges. The "Old Cow" IS lighter in color than the goat or lamb. The goat is a new-finish jacket. I'm not sure about the lamb, but I think it is more of an "antique" finish -- not new, but definitely not distressed like the Old Cow. The Old Cow is a vintage distressed jacket, and can't really be compared in color to the darker goat and lamb versions, and I don't think it was the intention of US Wings to try to exactly match the color of their old cow jacket to the actual jacket that Ford wears in the movies.

: : Regards,
: : Zippy

: : : Those of you who own one of these "Old Cow" jackets...
: : : The praise and enthusiasm for these new jackets is impressive. The accuracy and light weight of the jacket make it sound like a worthwhile purchase.
: : : My issue, like the fedora ribbon of an earlier post, is the color.
: : : USWings Goat and lamb seem to have the color dead to rights, but that "Old Cow" seems really, really light in color, almost coffee brown. I appreciate that the photos at the USWings site are not too terribly accurate, but the difference in color between this jacket and the others on the same webpage is rather extreme. it seems to me that for accurate color and flow of material, lamb or goat is still the best option, unless you go with FS jacket, where deer is apparently an option.
: : : Anyone disagree?
: : : I'd love to hear I'm wrong on this...
: : : ~The Spatsman

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]