Throwing the whip from a coiled position

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by The Spatsman from spider-tr044.proxy.aol.com on March 14, 2001 at 17:40:20:

Hey, gang
What with warmer temperatures around the corner, I've been flexing my collection of braided kangaroo, and I thought I'd share something with those who are still learning some whip-cracking basics.
You can throw the whip from a coiled position, exactly as Jones does as the beginning of Raiders, right before we see his face for the first time.
It's actually nothing more then a variant on the circus, or forward, crack, which is simply swinging the whip from the front(8 o'clock) up over the head,(12 o'clock) letting the thong fall to about 2 o'clock or so behind you while leaving the handle at the noon position, then throwing the arm forward to 8 o'clock.
If you are comfortable with this throw, or familiar with it, simply start with a coiled whip. I find the best grip is to have the knob of the handle in the palm, keeping the handle steady with the thumb, the ring finger and the pinkie. Let the coils drape from the index and middle fingers. With a little extra muscle (just to get the whip fully unraveled)throw the whip up to 12 o'clock, releasing the coils on the way up. The thong will quickly straighten by the time the handle is at 12 o'clock, so letting the thong fall behind you to 2 o'clock and finishing a normal circus crack is simple from there.
With a little practice, you can become very accurate with this throw.
Try it if you haven't already!
~The Spatsman

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: