Flightsuits visit

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by West from ACA37330.ipt.aol.com on March 15, 2001 at 23:03:16:

Well it finally happened...I visited Flightsuits in El Cajon. It took a three hour drive (actually 1 1/2 with my tendancy to speed but who really cares?)and a bit of getting lost, but I do that anyways because of my habit of checking out the view as I drive, but I met with Dave Marshall today and he gave me the tour of the flighsuits facility. It was great. Dave was very gracious and showed me all around: the hides, the jackets, the nifty airplane seats in their showroom, etc. I got to try on the prototype jacket (a darkbrown lambskin Expedition in old HF's size, 40R, that was made in the "cemented" pattern) and found it was too small for me in the shoulders (which surprised both Dave and myself for I'm not a big guy). Dave and I talked about the jacket, hides, and other stuff and it really made a difference seeing the leathers in jacket form up close and personal.
Originally I was going to go for the ("bullet proof") Veg goat skin or the deer but changed my mind when seeing them in the (tanned) flesh. The deer is too heavy for my tastes (at least twice the weight of the lamb)and as Dave said, "Heavier jackets have a tendancy to be warmer and cause you to sweat a bit in hotter weather" (memories of what I've heard of the VIP popped into my head). I'm definately going for goat, but after seeing the chrome goat in jacket form I couldn't help but fall for it. I like the darker brown (and the smaller price tag helped too since I have to get a made to measure since my shoulders fit a size 42 and my waist is only 31 inches). It really is a nice leather, and according to Dave both the veg and chrome are basically the same in strength and such, the only difference being where they came from, how they were tanned, and breaking in time.
Anyways sorry for the long post but for now I have decisions to make (...eenie meenie minee moe).

Thanks again Patterson, Lee, and everyone for this great jacket!
West

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]