Only my driving is inspired by Indy...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Inby from ppp05.nwnetwork.net on March 15, 2001 at 23:41:32:

In Reply to: My theory posted by Dr.Jones on March 15, 2001 at 22:53:55:

Seriously, I do remember those old Banana Republic (pre-Gap) catalogues; they were heavily inspired by Indyesque themes.
One of them even had a pic of Indy advertising some felt hat they carried. It's available in the Banana Repub. book that collects their catalogue stuff (sorry, no citation handy).
One need only recall the outpouring of 1930s nostalgia from Hollywood et al. after 1981 to ascertain the effect of Raiders on American pop culture.
TV like Bring 'em back alive, that Gold Monkey thing, etc.; all of those abfab jackets! and such.
Recall all that '80s advertising that incorporated art deco, the "glory days of luxury travel", and stuff like that. Possibly a lot of that neo-colonialist attitude was energized by the gung-ho patriotism imbued by the Reagan years too; but Indy gave it the initial spark.
Nearly every archaeology text since then has set Indy up as a straw archaeologist ("we don't really act like Indy"), etc. Here, Indy provided a popular spriingboard for real archaeologists to use as both an attraction to the discipline and a methodological counterpoint.
If I had a dollar for every popular news article about archaeology and archaeologists from the '80s, '90s (and today) that began, "She/he may not carry a whip or wear a leather jacket, but...", I could retire today!
So, MK, for documentation, I would look for that Banana Republic book, and then comb through magazines from the '80s for Indyesque ads.
You must recall those Camel cigarette ads featuring the guy with the blond afro, dressed in safari khakis, and usually immersed to his waist in a swamp, trying to repair his Land Rover, and all the while puffing on a smoke?
Tell me we wouldn't have seen those ads if there had been no Indy!
Good luck.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]