The most memories you'll ever see in a single post, MK!

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Shawnkara from spider-wn053.proxy.aol.com on March 16, 2001 at 01:38:15:

In Reply to: I need your help posted by MK on March 15, 2001 at 22:42:44:

Indiana Jones has, in fact, had an undeniable impact on our popular culture. It was high profile in the 80's and some of it still survives today. I owned a few 'aged' leather jackets in junior high/high school. Two of them were ordered through a Finger Hut catalogue and I distinctly remember the ad copy labeling them as 'adventure's'jackets. You could not buy a leather jacket in the 80's that was NOT predistressed. For years Playboy carried an ad for an 'adveture's' fedora. Based on the knowledge I have now I believe it was a Campdraft. I first saw Mark Allen's Indy bull whips in 8th grade, believe it or not. For about a year 'Knives Illustrated' carried the ad for, you guessed it, an 'adventure's' bullwhip. Of course I could not afford one then or I would have had one. Surprisingly, his prices have changed little, and that was about '86!. Even my first 6'latigo bull whip (the same one MA still sells) was Indy-inspired. My Uncle was heavy into leather crafts and took me to Tandy Leather every weekend. I'd be forced to spend hours looking around that damn store just to kill time and I never saw a single whip of any kind. Until shortly after 'Raiders' was released, anyway. I can also recall my Aunt (just my Uncles girlfriend at that time) redoing her entire living room in Egyptian plants, figurines and related decor. As she put when my Uncle poked fun at her,"Well, Bob, all this really interesting stuff has been showing up at Pier 1". Many no-name toy companies tried to cash in on Indy, as well. I had an 8" figure (used the same body as the old Marvel figure in the 70's) that had a bomber jacket, safari shirt, tan pants, brown bush hat and a gunbelt/holster rig. No whip or bag; I had to make those. He was billed as a military figure, but come on, people. Around '84-'85 Gary Coleman starred in a TV movie about a young boy who spent his time day dreaming. His most memorable fantasy? That of being a treasure seeking adventurer named Alabama Smith. He even had ALL the gear. I don't know how they got away with that one. In the opening credits of 'Muppet Babies' baby Kermit was depicted in Indy gear, swinging from a vine and superimposed over the scene of the rolling boulder. His line of the opening song for this scene? "I like adventure". What about all the Indy-esque films of the era? The Quartermane films, 'Romancing the Stone' and its sequel 'Jewel of the Nile', 'Fire Walker'.... Modern times? There's a nod to our hero in 'Dogma'. Silent Bob throws two men from a train and explains by saying to a passenger, "No ticket". In 'Chicken Run' the female 'lead' reaches under a rapidly descending door to retrieve her hat at the last moment. In documentaries anything containing the slightest element of danger is usually described as being, "Straight out of an 'Indiana Jones' movie". If your frien feels that Indy has not left a mark on our pop culture then he is wrong; dead wrong.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]