"New" Wested Raiders/US Wings Old Cow Review-after 3 days:

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Indydawg from 168.9.41.100 on March 16, 2001 at 10:11:21:

Man-what can I say about these jackets that has not been said before in my previous reviews except-OH, how I wish there were another month of winter left!

I am literally carrying both jackets with me wherever I go so that they can get equal wear time!!! And they are so close in weight, feel, drape, and "temperature variability", that they can both be worn in temps up into the 70s.

Now, after 3 days of experiencing these jackets, up close and personal, taking 60+ pics of them, going over them with a fine tooth comb, and wearing them almost constantly, here are my further thoughts on them!

Wested Raiders: Undoubtedly the best that I have ever seen from Peter! It is so soft and SO supple (I never thought I'd use that word to describe a jacket;-)), it drapes wonderfully, and it has that famous lambskin-like property of forming to my body! There is not one single flaw in the jacket anywhere! The grain of the leather is fantastic, when I move my arms, the leather grain moves against itself and creates this wonderful "rippling" effect...I can't describe it accuratly-one has to see this in person! Suffice it to say, whoever has the "real" jacket I ordered, you can keep it!!!! I am MORE than satisfied with this Raiders jacket!

US WINGS Old Cow: Now, this jacket is quite different from the Wested. There is no denying that! But NONE of the differences detract from the jacket in any way! Dark brown (VERY DARK) grain visible in contrast with the reddish distressed highlights of this jacket, make it one of the most unique jackets I have ever seen! The leather is tough, but not hard! Not quite as soft as the Wested's cowhide, but soft enough! After wearing this jacket for a few days, I have also gone over every singe stitch in the jacket! If this jacket is made my a machine, you would never know it to look at the jacket! Every stitch is perfectly made....it looks like the jacket was stitched by hand! I cannot say enough about the beutiful distressing job on this jacket either! I AM going to treat it with Pecards, to darken up the reddish highlights to a more "burgundy" tone, but ONLY after I treat the jacket with the Scotchguard for leather that Michaelson introduced to us a few days ago! That way I don't have to worry about completely SATURATING the jacket with the Pecards in order to waterproof it!

What a delimma! The only problem I have now is deciding which jacket I should be wearing!!! Both jackets are GRAND SLAMS for Wested and US Wings alike! The new revisions to the Raiders jacket take it back full circle to it's roots and the Wings jacket is the wonderful culmination of the research and suggestions Patterson made to Sarge and the evolution of the Wings Indy jackets over the years!

Tip of the fedora to Peter and Wested AND Sarge and US Wings! You have made at least ONE Indy fan VERY pleased!
Later ya'll!
Indydawg

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: