Re: I need your help

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from leospace047.utsi.edu on March 16, 2001 at 15:43:07:

In Reply to: I need your help posted by MK on March 15, 2001 at 22:42:44:

: I had a intense debate with a close friend regarding the influence on Indiana Jones on our culture. I think it is fairly obvious that the bogus aged leather jackets of the '80s were inspired by our hero. Anybody who is old enough to remember the 1980s, remembers those baddly aged jackets that looked like some wierd vinyl. (I should know. I had a few) Also I know I have read somewhere that fedoras came back too. The outback looking hats I see people wear now, I feel owe there place in our pop culture to Mr. Jones. Has anybody seen or have in there possesion any articles that state this?

I know the media used Indy's characterization extensively when describing someone who was nothing but solid determination, regardless of the gloomy forecast of an outcome. One of my favorite political cartoons in my collection is from around 1982-83. We were in the middle of one of the Central American problems, and we had sent war ships off the coast of a particular country. In the cartoon sits a radio operator in a jungle clearing. He's saying, as I remember without it being in front of me, "Sir, we have troops ready to land, and the battleship Missori is off shore ready to fire. What are your orders?" We see the then President Reagan, dressed completely from head to foot in Indy's costume, bull whip in one hand, and pulling his fedora tight on his head, stepping forward off into the undergrowth. He says as he's leaving, "Tell 'em to stay put...I'm going in alone!" Indy was recognized then, as well as now, as representing the soul individualist who faced all comers with no qualms, and you can find it all through articles and literature throughout the 1980's, and simply expressed by the outfit Indy wore. Regards. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]