I disagree...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patterson from falcon.goamerica.net on March 17, 2001 at 14:51:44:

In Reply to: Question about one leather vs. another. Not starting trouble, just really curious posted by Shawnkara on March 17, 2001 at 14:07:12:

FS has managed to reproduce the most faithful reproduction of the original pattern. I would argue that for the sake of authenticity, the weight, drape, and color of the leather ought to follow what was originally used, but only so far as it results in a jacket that meets the expectations of the user. Lets face it - lamb looks nice, breaths well, and can actually be cheaper than cowhide if you buy the really inferior stuff that needs lots of pigment, but one snag and your jacket is toast. Bye bye $500+! If we stick to this line of reasoning, we'd have had to find a source for cheap aluminum zippers - right?

Nope, I have to disagree with your line of reasoning. Quality was not their concern when they made the originals. The quality of the leather Wested uses doesn't even come close to what US Wings uses, let alone the FS leathers. I'm not slamming anybody - just calling it like I see it.

Ultimately, the choice of what jacket you get and what leather you choose is a matter of taste. IMHO - the most accurate looking leather is the seal brown veg goat. The chrome does look more like the very dark pics you see from Raiders. Difference in lightning? Probably. The FS Lamb is close, and lamb is what the originals were made from, but does it look like the lamb Peter could buy 20 years ago?

Personally - I like knowing that if MK throws acetone on me, that I can just laugh. Now THAT'S a jacket I'd want to wear the next time I chase my kids around Tom Sawyer Island at Disneyland!

IMHO - Cheers!

Patterson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: