Raiders of the Lost SOFA

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Major Paul from 204.208.30.165 on September 30, 1998 at 03:26:39:

: Never thought I'd see something like this over here in Korea! Today, I went to my hootch to grab some lunch and popped on the one T.V. station we get, Armed Forces Korean Network (AFKN), to catch some ball scores. While I was sitting there munching away, a commercial came on with the familiar font proclaiming, "Raiders of the Lost SOFA". It gained my undivided attention.
The commercial was about the Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA) between the United States Armed Forces and the Republic of Korea. This document regulates everything from how garbage gets disposed of to what happens when a U.S. soldier gets arrested by Korean police.
In the commercial, Indiana Jones and a character dressed like Sapito are crashing through a jungle looking for the SOFA book. During their journey, Indy, describes why it's so important to find the SOFA book. He and "Sapito" cross a snake-infested pit and scramble up a large stone temple. At the top of the temple is a giant, stone carved face. Indy reaches inside one of the eyes of the carving and pulls out the book, just before being captured and dragged away by spear wielding tribesmen who look like Hovitos.
The sets were actually pretty lavish and Indy's costume was surprisingly authentic. Good looking hat and jacket; right colored shirt/trousers and boots; five o'clock shadow on "Indy". Even the background music was lifted straight from the "Raiders" soundtrack. The only thing that looked wrong was the wearing of the satchel bag. It was worn over the jacket instead of under it.
All in all it was pretty cool. My question is, doesn't Lucasfilm, LTD. have to grant permission to use all this in a commercial? -MP

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]