These are my beliefs and concerns for the hopeful Indy four starring Harrison Ford

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kent from dial69.insolwwb.net on March 17, 2001 at 21:49:38:

These are my beliefs and concerns for the hopeful Indy four starring Harrison Ford

First of all the writing, which is very important because without a good script the movie will be forgotten and placed aside, like Under Siege 2 (anybody remember that?!?) So we realize this needs to be good! Now we all know that the adventures all contained different writers.
Raiders - Philip Kaufman
Temple - Willard Huyck
Crusade - Menno Meyjes
I kind of think it should be a relatively unknown, someone fresh and not altered by fame, someone that’s still brave and stupid enough to do something different. Regarding the most recent news of M. Night Shyamalan and Steven Soderbergh personally, I don’t think they could take the trilogy and make something good or better, sure they are good writers but not good enough to make it happen. I would like to hear Spielberg drop them. Like I said above, it needs to be someone who isn’t afraid to go the extra mile.

But also dealing with the script, what will happen with the plot and storylines? I personally would like something in depth and personal for the final ride… something dealing with past trauma’s (Like the previus films; Marions problems, Father and Son problem!), I would personally enjoy some dangerous and compelling scenes. Like a loved one’s death or something (But not a loved one from which we saw in the previous films.) what I mean is maybe one of Indy’s Girlfriends could die, and we could really see Indy’s trouble and emotions, to show he is still human and not some invincible force like Superman (which is what Bond became). I always enjoy heroes who can get shot and hurt.
We need some classroom scenes (I always thought it was fun to see Indy as a part time teacher, it made him intelligent and funny!), but we don’t need to rest to heavily on the classroom (which wouldn’t be done anyway but I thought I would say that!)…
Now of course Indy needs a good sidekick, unfortunately Marcus has died. Which brings to mind I don’t know if they should make reference to Marcus’ death or not? I wouldn’t like for the character to die, it’s sad enough the actor has  … what I think would be a nice addition would be, before the film they would play a tribute, with some beautiful piano music (Mr. Williams do you think you could do that?) maybe some comments from Ford, Lucas and Spielberg on how great he was… now where was I? Oh right, Sidekicks… I think Sallah wore out his welcome in the 3rd, his part was excellent and I loved him in it, but I don’t think we need him again in the new one. I would like a fresh face, some tough and helpful, but not anything like Indy, the partner can’t be a bold man who the girls drool over. But he has to look like an adventurer.
Now also a problem would also be the girlfriends, like the others, it would be good to have an unknown… but I’m going to save this for later!
One problem that may surface is locations, Indiana… but of course the locations would be determined by what the movie was actually about. Now since these are just my humble opinions I’m going to tell you what I think so, I would like to see something similar to Temple of Doom, with it’s dark ferocity, but not necessarily just a cult, maybe different enemies, corrupt governments, cults, different sorts of evils, bandits, etc. But also something similar to Raiders, with it’s action and adventure, with different characters and fun at every stop. But also something similar to Crusade (I guess we would all like to see something resembling all three... well hopefully), with it’s humor and love! But what about the script, what should it be about? I won’t dwell too long on this but I think it should be something from the bible, I’m sure there is plenty of content in the bible to revolve a movie around! But, I would also like to see things going all across the globe; Germany, Australia, America, Asia, South America, Mexico, Africa… etc. places with adventure, intrigue, cults, danger, thieves… you get my drift!
Now with the girlfriends, when I see a movie, if they have a romantic interest, I like seeing someone who’s naturally pretty someone with a fresh face but also not pumped with silicone… I would normally say “Catherine Zeta Jones Catherine Zeta Jones Catherine Zeta Jones Catherine Zeta Jones” but in this case, I will not! I know she is my favorite actress and she is truly beautiful. But for this type of movie I think it would be best for her and the series if an unknown took the part, but someone who also has talent and the adventurous spirit (like Karen Allen embodied), now why do I say it would be best for Catherine to stay away from Indy 4? True she would be good and bring a certain essence to the film but lets look back; did any of Indy’s girlfriends ever go anywhere? No. They mostly wafted away… Willie was the only one, but we all know why! I won’t go into detail about, what hair color, eye color, blah blah blah she should have like some others have done because it seems a bit silly!
Now, this movie has to be good, well scripted, acted, and directed… because it will probably be the last one. So being the last one I think the ending should be something similar to Raiders with a mysterious strange ending, but also something with a cliffhanger so the audience will make up the rest in their minds.
But when should the film be released, I think it should be released sometime in February 2002 (that is if they hurry and immediately get started to make this movie great!) But they should try and keep this as secret as possible and not to over advertise! The reason I never saw The Phantom Menace in theatres was because on every other commercial you saw something about it!

Now we all know John Williams will give an academy award winning score, well, he always does… I’ve never heard any of John Williams music which wasn’t good.

Now we also know Harrison has to be in the next one, it doesn’t matter his age… the public will be disappointed. I’m sure all you forum members can’t wait to see Di’Caprio wear the fedora and jacket, but the general public just wouldn’t accept him!
But unfortunately if we wait any longer Ford will be battling corrupt Hospital Nurses rather than Hovitos. I know I said age does not matter but eventually it will, so we should hopefully see some Trailers for the film sometime in 2002 or 3’. I would prefer 2 because Ford is not getting any younger!

George and Lucas go without saying they will most definitely be involved with the film. And of course Spielberg will supply us with some top-notch direction. Lucas, well he’s slumped lately, his work isn’t near as good as it used to be… I’m not saying I don’t like the fat basturd, it’s just that he isn’t as good as he used to be. I liked his earlier films much better.

Now here are my worries for Indy 4. Okay, so they’ve been promising it’s going to happen for over 5 years, but still the public is okay with that, but eventually the public are going to get tired and say “when the hell are you going to get off your asses and do the damned thing?” So they better hurry, or just shut up, because even I who love the trilogy am beginning to get tired of hearing “Yes, we’ll make another”… also what if the public doesn’t like it? Then the movie would be forgotten like The Matrix will, Indy 4 will be a hot item for a while but will unfortunately be forgotten! So that’s why I put so much emphasis one it needing to be not just good but perfect!
What would make it not perfect? Well, Michelle Yeoh and Natalie Portman of course! First, I strongly suggest it would be unwise for Indy to settle down and have a daughter. I think it would hurt the series, because Indy is a ladies man who is daring, he doesn’t need to worry about his DAUGHTER!?!?! I think a daughter tagging along would make it much more of a kiddie movie, which is what the series is NOT! Besides this is an adventure movie, and kids are not adventurers. I don’t mind reference of him being married maybe and his wife maybe being killed but that would still be kind of, dull, and take away from Indy’s manliness. Now Michelle Yeo, I just do not like her, sadly the girl can not act… she can do as many kicks as she wants but it doesn’t get away from the fact she can’t act! Besides now she is well known and I still believe it should be an unknown!

Now then, why do I think Indy 4 will happen?
Well, Spielberg has said his kids want to see Indy 4, so that makes me believe he will do it… I bet he would be willing to do anything for those kids!
Lucas, I have my doubts about Lucas… I’m sure he thinks he has better things to do and would rather finish SW, but I also know he’s greedy and knows it would bring a profit, maybe he's playing the bad guy and is saying “Ah I don’t know, I’ll think about a script someday” to tempt the audiences. He knows it will make a profit, which is why I think he’s willing.
Harrison, he doesn’t have a reason to make it, he’s done everything, and he’s the perfect man. But I think he wants to because he WANTS to!

These are just my personal opinions and beliefs for the future, bear in mind I’m not Doc Brown so I can’t travel into the future to confirm my beliefs but this is my opinion so I think I’m allowed to post it here!

Kent Allard

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]