Prop men aren't Linguists

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Indy Magnoli from 208.255.234.43 on September 30, 1998 at 13:50:50:

In Reply to: Re: Been busy, guys, and how many languages/dialects does Indy speak? posted by ~The Raider~ on September 29, 1998 at 19:45:53:

: Don't forget, the runes on the medallion were from a dialect long dead since just a few centuries after the time of Moses. It would seem plausible that that language may have died out or changed radically over the thousands of years.
: Or it could just be a hole in the script brought on by our attempts to try and make this man more and more heroic.

This is slightly off topic, but has anyone else attempted to translate various prop peices? The Headpiece text is Phonecian, yet contains no vowels so transliteration is not very helpful. Heiroglyphics often doesn't use vowels, so the headpeice may be a Phonecian transliteration of ancient Egyptian. Hmmm. Just now thought of that.

The Sankara manuscripts have text that appear similar to Sanskrit, but I am not well versed in Sanskrit so I'm having a hard time even transliterating it.

The Grail tablet is one of my favorites because all of it can be translated. And, since Indy translates in the film, it's fun to see how close he really came. Much of the text comes from the Latin Mass. Apparently the prop makers also couldn't decide on what word to use for "cup" so they used GRADALIS (which I'm pretty sure is a made up, Latanized version of "grail").

Is everyone bored yet? I'm Atilla the Poster, the one the students hope they don't read. ;)

-Indy

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]