Re: The Hatmaker's project

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from 150.182.1.235 on September 30, 1998 at 19:38:15:

In Reply to: Re: The Hatmaker's project posted by Greg on September 30, 1998 at 19:14:06:

: :
: : : This post is for those of us who, for whatever reason, don't have Herbert Johnson fedoras. These reasons may range from can't afford, to don't care, or both. Being one who falls into one of these catagories, I have contacted a small company in Virginia who does work with the company Stark and Legum Hat company. They are call the Hatmaker's. I know several folks on the forum have had some dealings with these folks. I sent to them a brand new Bronner fur felt fedora, and several photographs of the Indy fedora as seen in the Last Crusade. I personally like the fedora as it appeared at the beginning of the movie at the college. (Sorry, but it appeals to me more than the sharp peak of the Raiders version. Yeah, I know, for shame!) The folks at Hatmaker's are working to duplicate that hat, including the dimensional cut of the brim, reblocking, and correct ribbon width/color. No, the Petersham ribbon problem is not one I am getting involved with. Correct color and width is more important to me. Ironically they have a length of Petersham that belongs another of our forum that they were able to compare to and take measurements from. Anyway, these folks are REAL nice ladies to talk to and are more than interested in doing this kind of work for us. As soon as I receive the completed fedora, I'll write a complete report regarding description and any prices for Max/Mike to post on the Indy Diggs. If you want any additional information, feel free to email me directly. Regards. Michaelson

: : That would be great. Beleive it or not , i do not own a well made fedora. I do own one though! Tanks,
: : G.J.R.

: Yup, that is my Petersham ribbon they have. I first had dealings with Anne Ingram at Hatworks last year when I sent my first Herbert Johnson hat to her to have Hyman Hendler Petersham put on it. I chose her to send it to because she was excitedly interested in seeing for herself the genuine Indiana Jones hat made by the same makers as the original ones. She was indeed delightful to work with and cared for my hat very competently. It was her daughter, Karen, and another worker there, Jackie, to whom I sent a length of the Catherine Delaney Petersham ribbon after its dye had bled to see if they couldn't return it to a darker shade of brown with a more permanent colorfast dye. Anne told me when I first contacted her that she had made from scratch a replica of the Indy hat for a patron several years ago but had no idea what dimensions it should really have since she'd never seen an original. I told her to feel free to go ahead and take measurements from mine when she received it. Michaelson, after dealing with these folks, I am confident in saying you should be pleased with their work-my hat ribbon on my first hat came out exceptionally! And by the way, I too, prefer the looks of the Last Crusade hat, and both of my hats are shaped in that manner-not the sharp shape of the Raiders version!

: Greg

That's what Karen told me, but I didn't know if you wanted your identity known. I've been dealing with Karen and Tina. I just "met" Anne last phone call. You would think they've know me for years, which pleased me no end. It was your ribbon they used for my specs. Small world, isn't it?! Well, stay tuned. We'll see how this goes. I told them they were doing it for a grade. Regards. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]