Re: How did Indy do in Boy Scouts? Excellent points here!

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from 150.182.1.235 on October 01, 1998 at 10:08:33:

In Reply to: Re: How did Indy do in Boy Scouts? posted by IJFan on October 01, 1998 at 09:05:15:

: Rather poorly, I should think.

: I'm sure this will rattle a few cages, but my experience with the scouts when I was growing up was that it was their way, or the highway. Creative thinking was not encouraged (and by all indications, I was part of one of the more laid-back troops). I tended to want to do things my way (which was usually better than theirs, anyway) and this didn't go over too well. I have a feeling Indy would probably have tired of the whole afair after a very short time. You'll note the exasperated tone in which he mumbles "Everyone's lost but me", in a manner that implied this wasn't the first time he'd been frustrated by such problems. People who can, do. Those who can't, scout.

: Just my $0.02 worth...

: -IJFan

You know, as much as I like and support a great institution as scouting, in searching back through my old retired brain cells, I'm forced to admit I have to agree with you completely. The scouting I experienced throughout the 60's were indeed exactly how you described. If it wasn't "by the book", or official scout book, then it just wasn't so. I also can not visualise Indy lasting to far into his badges to make any kind of impact. Maybe they've loosened up some by now, but from my experiences, and considering we're speaking of the period of 1912 which was a heck of a lot closer to the origination date of the scouts, I'd say you're right on target. Interesting observation, my friend. Regards. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]