Re: Old Goat: Aging Gracefully.

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Fedora from ppp-35.col.cableone.net on March 22, 2001 at 23:40:42:

In Reply to: Old Goat: Aging Gracefully. posted by MK on March 22, 2001 at 21:43:19:

: Day Three:

: I have some preliminary observations of the FS chrome goat. I have been wearing the goat almost non-stop. It is warmer then lamb. It is stiffer too. It has had several trips in the dryer (non heat). It is breaking-in, but I don't believe it will ever drape like lamb. It is a VERY RUGGED jacket. After wearing the goat, the lamb feels like a wind breaker.

: AGING: As I have stated before, I am not going to age the lamb. I am aging the goat, but not as much as I did my Wested. I have been aging the goat slowly. I wiped it down with 99% alcohol to remove the shine. It had almost no effect. I found make-up brush cleaner did the trick, but you have to be gentle or you will remove color. I have used my trusty acetone to the seems and edges with q-tips. For now I am leaving the rest of the jacket a solid color. The jacket is really looking good now. It doesn't have that "off-the-rack" look now. The seems and edges have beige highlights. The shine is subdued. It is still a little stiff, especially the pockets. Baldwin's idea to line the pockets with lamb instead of a double layer of goat is worth pursuing. I will stay after getting it to relax until I conquer it.

: I will post pics soon.

I am leaning heavily toward the chrome goatskin, mainly because my A-2 is made of this leather, and I do love it so. I think that with time, and wear, the goatskin will become more supple,and hang a bit better. Ever thought of dragging it behind a truck? Keep us posted. Regards, Fedora

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]