Re: no info, but my own opinion and then Mithrandir's opinion

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mithrandir from ppp-207-193-30-46.snantx.swbell.net on October 02, 1998 at 20:43:14:

In Reply to: Re: no info, but my own opinion posted by ~The Raider~ on October 02, 1998 at 20:26:10:

:
: : As must come to most people, I turned sixteen at precisely 4:11 AM this morning. For a present, I got a Garfield rendition of a Star Wars poster. No, we're not poor, we're saving up money for my trip to England (more on that in a later post if anyone's interested). School went fairly well. I got my fair share of "Happy Birthday"s and two class-sung songs. Well, that's it about me. Now about Indy-related stuff.

: : I LOVE WIDESCREEN. At present, I have about twenty-five widescreen movies. Today after I got done watching Titanic in widescreen (yes, I'm such a terrible person), I popped in Raiders. At first I went, "Yikes!, I'm seeing hardly anything and the pictures to big and the camera keeps swinging around and yada-yada-yada." Makes me really yearn for the anticipated widescreen, THX(?) Indy trilogy. Anyone have new news on that?

: I just would like to ask how you can manage to stand it?
: I don't mean watching "Titanic" (although that is another can of worms I don't want to open yet) I mean watching widescreen. I own "Jaws" and "Goldeneye" in widescreen, and I can barely stand to watch it!
: ~The Raider

Jaws and Goldeneye are two good examples, because they both have aspect ratios of 2.35:1. This means in P&S, almost 45% of the picture is chopped off. Actually, if you wish to know more I recommend you go to widescreencinema.com/letterbox.html . It's shows examples of pan-and-scan versus widescreen and even includes examples from Raiders (although it says Raiders is available widescreen on video, it's not). Yes, sometimes the black bars stand out, but if you concentrate on the movie, they tend to o away and you're left with a rectangle of film "just like they were seen in theatres/meant to be seen by their directors", as the advertisements go. They even sell widescreen TVs, can't give you a price, but it gets rid of the black bars. I think even most of the new (but not yet on the market(?)) flat-screen TVs are widescreen. Not sure how TV programming looks though. Maybe in the next year we'll see them.

-Mithrandir-
BTW, no Happy Birthday?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: