On distressing, etc

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bennett from spider-mtc-tc014.proxy.aol.com on March 24, 2001 at 13:20:26:

I just read Patterson's post, and I have similar ideas on distressing, etc. Personally, I find that the natural distressing that comes through wear can really be distinguished from other forms of distressing, although MK's methods seem much more likely to something really close than the typical pre-distressed jacket.

The feature of natural distressing that sets it apart, in my opinion, is that the nature, placement, and type of distressing is not always what you would have planned -- also, there is a lack of symmetry -- both sides of the jacket don't look the same.

I have a 17 year old goatskin jacket, a G-8 replica which is clearly a big part of the inspiration for the Indy jacket, which I will post pictures of as soon as I can -- it has tears, scuffs, etc, from years of hard use (including wearing to work construction, in the woods, etc) -- and no one in their right mind would create all the damage this jacket has --

So, I guess it's a double edged sword, in a way. Natural distressing looks the most authentic, for obvious reasons, but it is not a controlled process -- you can't predict what you'll end up with. On the other hand, you'll have a jacket that looks like it has been through a few adventures, because it has.

Of course, my wife will hardly let me out of the house in that 'old beat up jacket'. Of course, that description just encourages me!

IMHO
Bennett

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: