goatskin

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bennett from spider-mtc-tc014.proxy.aol.com on March 24, 2001 at 13:30:49:

I had a comment about goatskin --

As I mentioned in another post, I have a 17 year old goatskin G-8 replica (similar to that on the US Authentic page, but I bought mine from Banana Republic in 1984, when they still had some interesting stuff -- does anybody remember that jacket?)

That jacket has suffered all sorts of abuse, and looks like it, but has held up well (no major tears, no stitching has come loose, etc). I didn't even treat the leather for the first ten years (I was a dumb kid, what can I say) -- and recently I have put Lexol and Pecard's dressing on it --

The Pecards darkened it back to near original color, and it looks a lot better, but much of the distressing (like tears, snags, areas rubbed and scratched) are still very evident.

I will post a picture as soon as I take one and figure out how to do it, and maybe that will help people decide if you want to subject your jacket to years of real abuse --

I am buying a US Authentic horsehide jacket to use in a similar way --I have a lambskin Wested on order, but maybe I'll maintain it in better shape. I wonder how horsehide will hold up -- I thought it would be tougher than goatskin, but after reading some other posts, I'm not sure. Any thoughts on goatskin vs horsehide?

Bennett

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]