Re: goatskin vs. horsehide

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from leospace047.utsi.edu on March 24, 2001 at 16:43:16:

In Reply to: goatskin posted by Bennett on March 24, 2001 at 13:30:49:

In a comparison I read on an A-2 web page in the past couple of months, the goatskin and horse hide compared almost point for point in toughness, as well as ability to take abuse in a harsh climate. That's one of the reasons (besides them finally running out of the source of material) that they switched away from horse hide to goatskin during the war in A-2 construction. I believe that horse slightly nudged goat out in total time of use, but we're talking generations worth of time here, and not enough to make that much of a difference. Goat does break in faster though, but over all they're pretty well matched. Regards. Michaelson

: I had a comment about goatskin --

: As I mentioned in another post, I have a 17 year old goatskin G-8 replica (similar to that on the US Authentic page, but I bought mine from Banana Republic in 1984, when they still had some interesting stuff -- does anybody remember that jacket?)

: That jacket has suffered all sorts of abuse, and looks like it, but has held up well (no major tears, no stitching has come loose, etc). I didn't even treat the leather for the first ten years (I was a dumb kid, what can I say) -- and recently I have put Lexol and Pecard's dressing on it --

: The Pecards darkened it back to near original color, and it looks a lot better, but much of the distressing (like tears, snags, areas rubbed and scratched) are still very evident.

: I will post a picture as soon as I take one and figure out how to do it, and maybe that will help people decide if you want to subject your jacket to years of real abuse --

:
: I am buying a US Authentic horsehide jacket to use in a similar way --I have a lambskin Wested on order, but maybe I'll maintain it in better shape. I wonder how horsehide will hold up -- I thought it would be tougher than goatskin, but after reading some other posts, I'm not sure. Any thoughts on goatskin vs horsehide?

:
: Bennett

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: