OH ICK!

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Fall Guy from pool0875.cvx19-bradley.dialup.earthlink.net on March 27, 2001 at 23:40:48:

In Reply to: De Nature Boy posted by Abner on March 27, 2001 at 22:19:13:

God, it was easy when I bought simple methylated spirit. But then again, this is the US where "we do things differently".
Yes, ACE adds something else than acetone: I listed all that junk they put in.
FG
PS: Thanks for reiterating why it's called denatured alcohol. I thought it was commonly known.
PPS: I'm bored with this now.

: Isn't that a Primus song?

:
: Well, pure denatured alcohol would not be denatured, it would just be ethyl alcohol. :) And yes, it is an ideal solvent for shellac, but costs more because you pay a liquor tax when buying grain alcohol. That's where the "denatured" alcohol comes in- the chemical companies take some ethyl alcohol and add something toxic (usually acetone, but I guess in the case of ACE Hardware's supplier, something else) to it so it is useful for everything but drinking. It's "De-Natured", or no longer in a "natural" state, hence undrinkable, and tax-free. Except of course, if you live here in SF, in the PRK you will still pay an outrageous 8.5% sales tax! :) Heh heh, but that's a different story altogether....

: Cheers,
: Abner

:

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: