Good choice and good reasoning. I can't get over the fact that it's only 9mm (except for the newer, slightly more effective .40S&W) but it's a great firearm.. (nm)

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Curious from 1Cust96.tnt1.brunswick.ga.da.uu.net on March 29, 2001 at 20:27:59:

In Reply to: Re: Poll: What's your favorite sidearm? posted by Hazelton on March 29, 2001 at 09:59:20:

: FN's Browning Hi-Power. It's an elegant design, very handy and pointable, it seems to be inherently accurate (especially for a service-type auto-pistol), is easy to keep clean, and carries a 13-round clip. When I decided to buy a pistol for self-protection, I figured that if it was good enough for the SAS it was probably good enough for me. It's disadvantages are that it is not especially concealable, and that the calibers in which it is available, 9MM and .40S&W are probably not the best man-stoppers for pistol cartridges. If I were to start over, knowing what I know now, I would probably buy either a Glock or a 1911-style in .45 or 10MM, since these rounds have excellent self-defense characteristics. The advantage of the Glock is that it is very quick to get into action. If there's a round in the chamber, all you do is pull the trigger; there are no extra safeties to disengage, and the trigger pull is pretty good. The disadvantage of the Glock is that due to it's polymer frame construction, it is very light, and this can cause shots fired from the last few rounds in the magazine to strike a different part of the target from the first rounds because the ammunition's weight is more important to the recoil characteristics of these guns as compared to an all-steel gun like the 1911 or Browning. A little extra practice will correct this tendency, however. Having said all that, though, the gun that I have done the best with straight out of the box was a Colt Delta Elite 10MM. It put the bullets right where I pointed it and fit my hand as if Colt had built it for me personally (which is puzzling, because .45 caliber 1911's aren't any easier for me to shoot than most other guns). Unfortunately, at the time I didn't have the financial wherewithal to purchase that pistol.
: If you've had the patience to read all the way through this Great American Novel of a post, I congratulate you.

: Regards,

: Hazelton

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: