Re: How did Indy do in Boy Scouts?

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Swordmaster from gw.kimpinen.wwnet.fi on October 05, 1998 at 03:09:31:

In Reply to: Re: How did Indy do in Boy Scouts? posted by IJFan on October 01, 1998 at 09:05:15:

: I'm sure this will rattle a few cages, but my experience with the scouts when I was growing up was that it was their way, or the highway. Creative thinking was not encouraged (and by all indications, I was part of one of the more laid-back troops). I tended to want to do things my way (which was usually better than theirs, anyway) and this didn't go over too well. I have a feeling Indy would probably have tired of the whole afair after a very short time. You'll note the exasperated tone in which he mumbles "Everyone's lost but me", in a manner that implied this wasn't the first time he'd been frustrated by such problems. People who can, do. Those who can't, scout.

I don't know how much scouting differs from country to country, but I'm a scout right now (aged 18 years) here in Finland, and either scouting has changed a lot or Finnish and American scouting have different methods in use.

In scouts, we're indeed encouraged to think with our own brains and make suggestions and be active. Laziness and passive being is not a virtue, on the contrary. The more ideas you get and the more active you are in the scout activities, the better. It's far from the half-military organization it might have been. We only wear uniforms in official events, too.

Just my opinion, I don't know about scouting in the USA.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]