Yeah, I saw that article...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brett (Maverick) Lambert from aig65386y28se.ab.hsia.telus.net on March 30, 2001 at 18:43:59:

In Reply to: Basically Time magazine had a heal line with Angela Jolie(TOMB RAIDER) the headline read "MOVE OVER INDY" posted by ninthman on March 30, 2001 at 01:31:20:

: So what do you think? Is Lara Croft the the next action hero?

Personally, I'm pretty psyched for this "Tomb Raider" flick, along with the 2nd Mummy movie. I saw the trailer and it looks pretty cool!

About the "Move over Indy..." stuff, I wouldn't get my pre-distressed Wested caught in spike trap if I were you. It's only a headline, nothing more. No film will replace Indy, it'll only stand alongside it provided the movie is good. In the 80s, you didn't exactly see "Romancing the Stone" or (ugh!) those Allan Quaterman (sp?) movies threatening to take over the Indy series did you?

Also, I would take these Indy-inspired movies like Tomb Raider, The Mummy, etc. as a good thing. With those types of films promoting good clean popcorn adventure, this can lead younger audiences back to its origins like Indy and if they want a TRUE origin, well they can go and rent the classics like "Gunga Din" et al. I have done this all the time with movies and a lot lately with music (such as tracing the origins with punk, rock 'n roll, metal, ska, etc.).

If an 8 year old who doesn't remember Indy goes and sees The Mummy and as a result will lead them to checking out Raiders, then we know they've done their job right!

-Brett

P.S. - The page before in Time magazine they talked about the proliferation of girls playing action roles more and more these days. I say bring it on! :)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]