Re: How does Indy get his Jacket back in TOD????

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Laurie Jensen from proxy2.frmt1.sfba.home.com on October 05, 1998 at 13:43:29:

In Reply to: Re: How does Indy get his Jacket back in TOD???? posted by Max on October 05, 1998 at 11:36:36:

: : OK I'm nit-picking and everything, and there's poetic license and all that, but can someone give me a plausible explanation of how Indy got his jacket back at the end of Temple?

: : One minute he's on the other side of the Gorge, a happy chappy holding his rock...the next he's walzing into the village sporting his Wested!

: : Don't tell me he rebuilt the bridge, or somehow Tarzaned across the gap just to go get his jacket!

: : The only thing I can think of is that he went back in through the main entrance...("I remember first hearing your name when I was up at Oxford"), but surely he couldn't really be that bothered!

: : Oh..and does Indy only have one Fedora, or lots, coz what the hell happened to the one he left on the submarine in Raiders???, Did he call up that Kananga bloke, and ask him to federal express it?

: : As you can see I have a lot of free time today...!

: After seeing the three movies you have to believe that Indy has a whole
: cupboard full of distressed Wested jackets, Herbert Johnson fedoras
: and DM bullwhips. It's really quite improbable that he got all the itmes
: he "lost" over the time back. Also I wonder how he got his gun, bag,
: luggage and everything back after being captured by the NAZIs in LC.
: Also where did he transport them when he got on the Zeppelin...

: Regards,
: -Max

There is a bunch of continuity mistakes regarding the clothing in all the movies. In Raiders, Indy gives Belloq his gun and whip, yet a few days later is able to produce a new Smith and Wesson and a replacement bullwhip. The morning after the ride on Katanga's ship Indy is wearing a perfectly clean and pressed pair of pants and an unblemished shirt, despite the fact that both items were damaged during the truck chase. The shirt, in particular, had a hole from the gunshot, and a lot of blood from the resulting wound, so why was it so nice and new?

As for TOD, it's not only amazing that Indy managed to go back to the flooded mine and find his jacket, but he then used his magical powers to completely resew his pants and shirts. Indy's clothes were almost shredded, but he shows up at the village with a pristine pair on slacks and shirt. Say what?

Crusade has problems, too. When Henry and Indy are running around in Spain, Indy is without his equipment belt and whip. Yet when they attack the German tank, Indy has his full assortment of weapons. Did Henry have everything in his bag? LC also has a lot of what I would call weathering or style errors. After Indy busts through the castle window to rescue Henry, he is barely wet, even though he was out in the pouring rain. The hat seems to change style and brim size throughout the movie, and the dirt and dents on the hat aren't mantained in the climactic tank chase.

One thing they did get right was the change in costume between Raiders and it's sequel LC. The differences in the costume may be explained by the fact that Indy lost all his clothes by the end of Raiders. He left the jacket, hat, whip, and equipment belt on Katanga's ship, then he removed the boots, pants, and shirt to disguise himself as a German. The real reason for the change was probably the length of time during the picture, which made exact duplication harder, but it does work for the film.

Laurie

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]