I ran into the same thing....

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Austin Powers from dialupGG117.mpls.uswest.net on April 03, 2001 at 15:47:29:

In Reply to: Alden 405 Boots - Size 10D for sale posted by Chris King on April 03, 2001 at 07:42:57:

I think Alden really oughta resize their 405 Indy Boots. The current sizes are WAY outta wack.

My feet were sized by professionals at a Red Wing Boots store as being 10.5 Ds. And the subsequent steel-toe boots I received fit fine lengthwise, but were just a tad snug widthwise, which I chalk up to the steel thickness. Anyhoo, I was more than confident that my feet were 10.5, which totally coincided with every other pair of shoes I've owned in the past 5 years.

So a while back I decided to take the Alden plunge and order me up a pair of 10.5 Es(I got E just to make sure they wouldn't be to snug widthwise). When the boots arrived I was taken aback by the shear length and size of the 10.5s. They looked absolutely huge and were way too big on my feet. I agree with a fellow fan's "clown shoe" analogy, because they really looked comically oversized.

Well I figured to hell with that and sent the sumbitches back in exchange for a size 10. Well these fit better and I initially was happy with them. But after a while it dawned on me that these too were oversized. When held sole-to-sole with my other shoes and boots the Aldens were 1/8" to 1/4" longer. I finally decided the 10s were too big after the 30-day return policy had ended. Plus the boots weren't in prestine condition, yet were nowhere near used-looking.

Anyway, a few weeks ago I decided to hell with it. I'll order a size 9.5 and keep the 10s in case my feet ever get bigger. So my 9.5 Es arrived and fit MUCH better than the 10s. When held sole-to-sole with my size 10 Aldens, the 9.5s are 1/8" shorter. Doesn't sound like a whole lot but it made a world of difference. So now I'm pretty happy with the 9.5s, although I think, THINK I may be able to squeeze into a size 9. But I'm gonna stop with the 9.5s.

But yeah, I think Aldens sizing is WAY messed up and people should definitely go to the shop in San Francisco if possible, because online ordering is a headache waiting to happen. I've noticed that it's a pretty accepted idea that ordering a half size smaller is a good idea. But personally I think a WHOLE size smaller is best, at least it was for me. And I suggest ordering two different sized pairs and returning the pair that fits worse.

Austin Powers

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]