Re: How does laserdisc sompare to DVD?

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rob Davies from tweedledee.its.utas.edu.au on October 06, 1998 at 18:03:43:

In Reply to: Re: How does laserdisc sompare to DVD? posted by Rocky on October 03, 1998 at 19:17:17:

: From what I've seen and heard from my customers, it's close to the same. Now technically I've read that laserdiscs put out about 420 lines of resolution to your TV as compared to VHS putting out about 240. DVD puts out about 500 lines, so in comparison DVD should be better than laser, but I very seriously doubt you can see the difference. The biggest difference will be the fact that you don't have to flip sides or change discs with DVD, like you do with laser.
: Also, DVD automatically offers you the still frame on all their discs, where laser you have to get the CAV versions to get this feature, which means more disc space. If you have both machines and you have a good sizeable library of lasers, the decision is tough for you as to whether or not to buy the movies again on DVD (unless it's the Indiana Jones trilogy, in which case it's automatic that you would want to buy them again) If you have a VHS and are going to DVD, to me there is no contest. I will replace my VHS copies with their DVD counterpart. Hope this helps. e-mail me with more questions and I'll see if I can help.

Remember, also, that a large part of the DVD hype is its interactive component:

- Multiple video tracks for choice of viewing angle.
- Multiple subtitle tracs (up to 32, I think?).
- Multiple audio tracks for choice of forign language voice dubs.

And there's probably a whole stack of other things I haven't mentioned.

Cheers,

Rob
---

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: