Send it back and tell Jr . what is wrong . He will fix it and send it back to you within a week of reciept .

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Flash Fearless from pm5-17.syv.silcom.com on April 04, 2001 at 19:22:49:

In Reply to: My Initial PB Review posted by Austin Powers on April 04, 2001 at 16:24:17:

: I just got my PB Indy Custom today, which I ordered way back on Feb. 9th. I held off ordering one and actually never thought I would, because all the photos I saw of them did not impress me at all. But after seeing Hector's PB I figured I'd take the plunge. Hector's hat didn't look as awkward as everyone else's. His crown had no visible taper and his color looked right.

: So after Joe Jr. returned from his rodeo vacation I ordered one of the Indy Customs. I e-mailed Joe a "collage" of hat shots from 'Raiders', with the Peru temple hat being the main focus. I requested absolutely NO taper and a 2 3/4" x 2 5/8" brim. After a nearly two month wait(3 weeks being the supposed "norm") my hat arrived, and I gotta tell ya, I'm not impressed.

: Mind you, I've only had this hat for about an hour, but my first impression was one of dissappointment. I guess you hear everyone's wonderful reviews and you start to believe them. You build this hat up in your mind as being an exact replica, which was promised. But when you see one in person you're let down.

: I guess everyone has a different idea of what a "perfect" Indy hat looks like. And maybe most are satisfied with their PBs. I should've known not to rely on others' reviews, because after seeing some people's "self-shaped" hats I kind of laughed. Some of the fan-shaped hats on IndyGear look ridiculous. So it makes sense that these fans have a warped mental image of what an Indy hat replica oughta look like. I think I should've gone with my gut feeling and stayed away from ordering one. But Hector's hat looked so good and I thought I could provide the best images and info in order to get a great hat. I surely did not get an exact replica of the Peru temple hat, not even close.

: First off, I requested a "softer" felt. I'd heard others mention the stiffness of PBs, so I figured softer would be best. Yet mine seems rock solid anyway. You can hold the brim and the hat stands straight out without flopping. The hat fits fine, yet the stiffness of the felt makes your head very uncomfortable. Second, my "tight 'Raiders' pinch" was a whole 1/4" off-center. That ruined the hat right there. In order for me to reposition the pinch the whole crown needs to be reshaped. And the stiffness of the felt pretty much x's that idea. The bashes and creases provided by PB look very generic and nothing like what I MYSELF see on screen. And they certainly don't look a thing like the pictures I provided. Lastly, my crown has a very DEFINITE taper. It's ridiculous. It looks more like a 'Temple of Doom' hat than a 'Raiders'. The crown also seems very narrow and totally lacks the "heart-shaped" humps that seal the 'Raiders' look.

: Maybe I need to let the hat grow on me. Maybe I expected too much. But as it is, I'll need to totally reshape my hat. I'm sure not going to send it back for another 2-month wait.

: All in all, if you're not a "hat rookie" and if you actually KNOW what a 'Raiders' hat should look like, I suggest ordering an open-crown PB if anything, and shaping it yourself. I was skeptical that a new-comer to the Indy scene could actually make decent replicas. I guess my skepticism was warranted.

: Austin Power
I have bought many hats from PB , there customer service is second to none. Thay will put it right. Give them a chance to put it right.Flash

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]