BEST DAMNED SHOES YOU'LL EVER OWN!!(nm)

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patterson from falcon.goamerica.net on April 05, 2001 at 18:00:13:

In Reply to: My review of Austin's Expedition and PB hat posted by schwammy on April 05, 2001 at 17:29:04:

: Austin Powers graciously took time out of his day to meet with me and I got my first good look at both the Wested and Expedition jackets. (Yeah, I'm new to this forum, though Indy's been my fashion role model since 1981.)

: I liked his Expedition better, as I suspected I would; it looks more like the screen version and it had a little more room to maneuver in it, but both seemed to be well-constructed garments. I imagine those backward zippers really take some getting used to, though, and I was surprised at how LIGHT lambskin really is. I've been wearing an old horsehide jacket from the '40's for the past few years, which is the opposite end of the scale -- HEAVY -- and those lamb jackets are just like wearing a shirt. Makes sense, though; you would want a lightweight jacket filming in Hawaii and Tunisia.

: Austin also let me check out his new PB fedora. I personally liked it a lot. He's right, it IS tall, there's no getting around it, and it IS stiff, which, he pointed out, is probably because PB also makes cowboy hats. But we both remembered Indy adjusting his hat after liberating the idol at the beginning of Raiders; the sound you hear as his hand brushes the felt gives the impression that his hat was that stiff too. As for the tapered crown, it's slight, but I do see a bit of a taper. The color on Austin's hat seems to lean toward greenish rather than Raiders' reddish brown, but in my humble opinion the shape is right on the money -- it looks more like Indy's hat than anything else I've seen. Here I was all these years trying to get by with an ordinary fedora, wondering why it never looked right. Now I know. And it looks great on you, Austin, so wear it with pride!

: Best of all, he sold me his extra pair of Aldens, which I'm wearing now. They are a big surprise, because I didn't think I needed Aldens til I saw them and tried them on. They never looked all that impressive in the photos I'd seen, but they are awesome lookin' and feel already broken in, though they're clearly brand new. I've already gotten several compliments just wearing 'em around the office.

: Austin, I really appreciate you taking the time to meet with me. The boots are great and it was a pleasure to meet another Indyfan.
:
: Now all I gotta do is explain the unexpected purchase of a pair of boots to Mrs. Schwammy...
:
: [Sound of whip cracking]

: As Austin said, "It's a hell of an expensive hobby."

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: