You are the MAN! All I need is one millimeter of shrinkage. I bet it works. Thanks! (nm)

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Curious from 1Cust36.tnt1.brunswick.ga.da.uu.net on April 05, 2001 at 22:03:19:

In Reply to: Re: Akubra Federation--sizing issues! Question for Fedora. posted by Fedora on April 05, 2001 at 21:57:17:

: : I ordered a 59mm, which is exactly what my head measures. This awesome hat is a tad loose now. I put the foam rubber strip around the inside of the liner but now it's puckered-up and weird looking. It's fits well now.

: : Fedora: How will you "force shrink" yours? I need help from the hat guy!

: : : I thought it was just my head had shrunk! Seriously, I wear a 7 1/4 and this is a 58 in metric. The hat I received is marked 58, but it is more like a 59. A little loose, but I will fix that with a bit of forced shrinking. If anyone else orders one, I would suggest to drop down a number. The sizes, for some reason run a tad large. Regards, Fedora

: Well, first off, I can't stand those little foam strips some hatters give you. I refuse to use them. Over the years it has become apparent to me that all felt will shrink. The Akubra felt will shrink like all the rest, although it is a bit more shrink resistant when dried at room temp. But add heat, and it acts just like any other felt. I use a really high tech way to size an over size hat. I just wet the sweatband area inside and out with cold water, place the hat on my lampshade next to my recliner, with the light on, and as I watch Steve Irving chase critters, I occasionally test the fit on my head. When it fits the way I want it, I just leave it on the old noggin until it cools down. It is essential that the leather sweatband be wet as well as the felt adjacent to it, but not the top 2/3 of the crown. Always worked for me, but I have never had to reduce more than 1/8 an inch in hat size. It may not work on a hat that is really , really too large. Bet it works on yours though. Regards, Fedora

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]